Lighting

CMantis

I am need some help and advice on setting up the lighting for my new chams. I have not had any in a few years and want to be sure I am up to date and do them right. I used to get the shop/utility flourescent dual or quad bulb lights. However checking around at the hardware stores they don't seem to carry much of these anymore. What and where is a good source of light fixtures? Also what are the best bulbs, I used to believe that under 48" and there wasn't enough uvb, now I see they come in many varities ie. 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. Thanks in advance.

reptisun 5.0 is most commonly used and 100% effective. You can get a fixture at home depot for about 15$ depending on size. You can get a reptisun 10.0 if you feel it necessary but i wouldn't say it is. Reptiglo also works, but I'd honestly go with reptisun. For more UVB surface area you can place the fixture diagonally on top of the cage instead of horizontally. Hope that helps

-Andrea

reptisun 5.0 is most commonly used and 100% effective. You can get a fixture at home depot for about 15$ depending on size. You can get a reptisun 10.0 if you feel it necessary but i wouldn't say it is. Reptiglo also works, but I'd honestly go with reptisun. For more UVB surface area you can place the fixture diagonally on top of the cage instead of horizontally. Hope that helps

-Andrea

I agree and a good place to buy blubs is: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/

Thanks for the replies. What size fluorescent would you recommend if the cages are 30" wide and 48" tall? Would one bulb be enough or should I get a double fixture? One last question, is it worth getting the full spectrum incandescent bulbs for heat or just a regular spot bulb? Thanks again.

..What size fluorescent would you recommend if the cages are 30" wide and 48" tall?

Would one bulb be enough or should I get a double fixture?

...is it worth getting the full spectrum incandescent bulbs for heat or just a regular spot bulb?..
Howdy,

You mentioned cages. If you happen to have 2 enclosures that are side-by-side (with a visual barrier between them) then you might do well with a 48" fixture split across them. If you get a typical workbench dual fixture then you might go ahead and get two Reptisun 5.0 tubes. You can also just use one Reptisun 5.0 and regular household fluorescent tube. Keep an eye on whether or not you are working with T8 or T12 type tubes and what wattage is supported.

I think you'll do well an incandescent flood. I like the Philips Halogena brand floods. They make a 60W flood that seems to do well. If you can find the 3-pack, you can save a few bucks :). Even though they talk about a 2-year life span, I usually get about 6 months at 12 hours a day which is reasonable. http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_...g&parent=7593748565&id=us_en_products&lang=en

Back
Top Bottom