Lighting

my opinion is OSRAM vitalux 1 h X 2/day only to consider the UVB/A + HQI lighting (and UVA). In this case Heat + UV + Kelvin degrees of lighting needs by this species

My opinion about lighting (but dépends on the species) OSRAM vitalux - 80 cm far from the chameleon. 30 mm X 2/day to 1 hour X 2/day. It's the best for UV. + HQI (good for UVA) 70 w or 150 w, dépends on the heating needed. For example it works perfectly for Jackson, veiled, pardalis. If it's a Young chameleon you have to start with 30 mm X 2 /Day it's enough. I know in France, people use it for parsonii, but i don't agree with. After you have the solution of bulb to do heating; light and UV, like powersun or bulb like this. It could be a good option. But what we need is UV, to heat for some, and good light. Good light means daylight (5000° kelvin to 7000° Kelvin). You can use daylight tube with you powersun.

Can I use a normal fluorescent bulb from a hardware store about 18" long, for a veiled chameleon or do I have to buy a reptile one?

Can I use a normal fluorescent bulb from a hardware store about 18" long, for a veiled chameleon or do I have to buy a reptile one?
I like to know the answer too. I just bought a spare UBV just in case, but they ain't cheap.

You can use a "regular" fluorescent bulb and fixture for extra lighting. but would still need a UVB bulb and basking bulb, too. (depending on the type of chameleon) I use T5 four bulb fixtures, with one UVB and 3 6500k bulbs for my panthers. Works well for me. I also have a dome fixture with a 60watt bulb for my basking spot.

You can use a "regular" fluorescent bulb and fixture for extra lighting. but would still need a UVB bulb and basking bulb, too. (depending on the type of chameleon) I use T5 four bulb fixtures, with one UVB and 3 6500k bulbs for my panthers. Works well for me. I also have a dome fixture with a 60watt bulb for my basking spot.
Ok but is there one from like "menards" that produces uvb?

Just so you understand why a UVB bulb is necessary, I thought I should explain it a little.
Chameleons need the UVB to be able to use the calcium for their bones and body. It helps them make their own D3. If you don't use a UVB bulb or if you don't change the bulb regularly, (the UVB producing ability of the bulb decreases over time) your animal can develop Metabolic Bone Disease. It's a heartbreaking disease. Their body leaches the calcium from their bones, their bones get soft, bend and break easily and they lose mobility as well as other bodily functions. It's awful, but can easily be prevented with the correct supplements and UVB lighting. If you haven't looked over the care sheets, there is a link in the bottom of my post. There is a lot of really good, helpful info on those pages.

Back
Top Bottom