Lighting Setup

cushcameleon

For those of you who don't know I currently use a powersun UV bulb as my source of lighting (I'm very certain most of you do know, considering my recent thread had close to 600 views :p). Anyways, after hours of intense research and talks with other chameleon owners, I have decided to minimize the risk for my chameleon and purchase a new lighting setup. However, since I have never used the cylindrical UV bulbs, I have some basic questions about them. Is it OK if I rest the bulb and fixture directly on top of my cage, or should I use something to elevate it? Does the bulb become hot like heat bulbs when turned on? Do I need to place the lamp in a special location on the top of the cage, or can it be placed anywhere?

...cylindrical UV bulbs, I have some basic questions about them. Is it OK if I rest the bulb and fixture directly on top of my cage, or should I use something to elevate it? Does the bulb become hot like heat bulbs when turned on? Do I need to place the lamp in a special location on the top of the cage, or can it be placed anywhere?

Do you mean the florescent tubes? they dont get very warm. I leave resting directly on the wire tops of my cages. I've got a visiting chameleon in a screen/mesh cage and his UVB light is also resting right on the mesh.

I prefer to run the tube down one side of the top of the cage, front to back. I place the heat bulb in the centre of the top of the cage at the back. this permits the chameleon to choose to be under the heat but not the UVB, or under the UVB and not so much near the heat, or under both.

You can put the flourescent bulbs on plastic, it won't melt it. Lay it on top, no worries.:D

Nick

Screen already removes a good amount of UVB. Moving it any higher would decrease the amount of UVB penetration even more.

Two "suggestions".

Get a UVB reader.
Get a Temp Gun.

You shouldn't have to worry about it getting close if you don't have a basking spot too close to the top of the cage... unless your rudis is a climber, and enjoys hanging upside down, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, fluorescent tubes don't really emit much heat, from the ones I've used.

There is an edit button for posting. :)

Depends on how much heat a Rudis needs! If a fluorescent gives off enough heat for your Rudis at the basking point, should be fine.

What is the correct basking temperature for a Rudis chameleon, Cush? Just curious.

yah cush, 60 watt incandescent house bulb should work for anything. just make sure to have a basking spot run about 6-8"s under it. use a thermater at the middle point between the basking stick and the basking light.

keep your UVB light close to the basking spot so he can absorb both UVB while basking.

most UVB bulbs are good, occasioanlly you will get a bad one.

you won't know without a uv meter.

What about basking bulbs? I have heard just a normal light bulb will work fine?

Whoops I forgot to clarify that along with the repti-sun you need a basic basking bulb in that pm.
Unlike the UVB light, you can be extremely flexible with this. As long as it puts out the right amount of heat, it works.

Suggestions for basking lamps:
1. Incandescent Lightbulbs, make sure the wattage is right
2. Something like this. Perhaps a lower wattage.
3. Phillips "Halogena" Bulbs, from home depot. Flood lights that disperse heat well, recommended to me by a senior member.

Just remember, as long as it doesn't put out too much, or too little heat, it is a good basking bulb.

Back
Top Bottom