Lighting question

Murrdox

Hey folks,

I've got a new baby Panther on the way (yay!) and I'm getting his enclosure ready. There was (coincidentally) a reptile show in the area, and I went with my wife and some friends mostly for fun.

While I was there, I stocked up on items to get ready for his arrival.

One of the things I needed was a new hood and UVB bulb. I picked this up:

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/low-profile-fixtures.htm

The Zilla fixtures with bulbs included were the only ones that were offered at the show. However, now I feel sort of stupid, I didn't take a close look at the statistics for the bulb.

"Tropical 25 T8 fluorescent bulb with a UVB output of 25 microwatts per second/cm2 @ 12"

I've been using Reptisun 5.0 bulbs forever, and I now realize it looks like the "Tropical" bulb included with the light is a bit more powerful than the Reptisun bulbs that I've been using.

My new arrival is a 3-4 month old Panther and I certainly don't want to start off cooking him. He's going to be living in a small cage to start out - 24x24x12, so he'll probably spend most of his time within 12" of the bulb.

My inclination is to throw the bulb out and get a Reptisun 5.0 and call it a $30 lesson in double-checking my packaging, but if people don't think it's a big deal at all, maybe I'll keep it.

first of all welcome to the forums! I think you are going to get some positive feedback on this bulb as I have read threads of people using them successfully. The majority of us do use the Reptisun 5.0 or the Reptiglo 5.0 the one you want to stay away from is the zilla desert series versus the tropical one that you have.

Shameless bump.

Am I over-reacting here? Should I keep the bulb or ditch it? Any additional input?

Back
Top Bottom