Lighting Question

ilovereptar

I am currently working with a 5'x3'x1.5' enclosure for a 7 month old boy panther. In his cage, I have a Repti Glo 2.0, 10.0, and a Zoo Med 100w Blue Spectrum bulb. Is this sufficient lighting for my huge enclosure, or is this too much? Temperatures at the top of the cage get to 82F, while at the bottom its 66-70F (He's right near a window so it changes frequently).

If my lighting is good, could I replace the 2.0 with another 100w bulb, or is the purpose of these blue Zoo Meds simply to produce blue light, and create heat?

I would just use the 10.0 and get rid of the 2.0. It is not necessary. Most of us use the 5.0's which would be sufficient also. The average cage size used for an adult is 24 X 24 X48 and a 5.0 is perfect. The Reptisun 5.0 is the recommended bulb to use. Your cage size is similar in the width and depth and heighth you can use the 10.0 but you certainly do not need the additional 2.0. I would just get an ordinary housebulb in the 60 watt range for basking. Just white house bulb no color. Just adjust your basking branch or light close enough to achieve around a 85-90max degree or so basking temp. You overall cage temp should be in the 70's but can be cooler towards the bottom where the light really doesn't reach.

Thank you so much for your help. I got him the 75w no color bulb and i switched out the 10.0 for the 5.0 and returned the 2.0. Thank you for your assistance :)

Back
Top Bottom