Lighting question

snortz21

Just want to run my lighting situation by you guys for my juvenile female veiled. Currently on my large repribreeze (18x18x36) I have a 14 inch reptisun high output T5 fixture with a 5.0 reptisun bulb. For heat, I have a double dome fixture with a 75W basking bulb and a ceramic heat emitter for when it’s colder in the room. I don’t have a thermometer but the temp in the basking area stays around the mid 80s. Can I take out the ceramic heat emitter and add in another UVB bulb. Is there such thing as too much UVB light? The highest point my cham can climb is about 10 inches from the lights. Let me know what I should do! I attached some photos. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 152
Just want to run my lighting situation by you guys for my juvenile female veiled. Currently on my large repribreeze (18x18x36) I have a 14 inch reptisun high output T5 fixture with a 5.0 reptisun bulb. For heat, I have a double dome fixture with a 75W basking bulb and a ceramic heat emitter for when it’s colder in the room. I don’t have a thermometer but the temp in the basking area stays around the mid 80s. Can I take out the ceramic heat emitter and add in another UVB bulb. Is there such thing as too much UVB light? The highest point my cham can climb is about 10 inches from the lights. Let me know what I should do! I attached some photos. Thanks.

Your UVB T5HO should be 10.0 for starters. Basking spot should be 85F-95F, and the bottom part of the cage should be cooler to allow for a heat gradient.

Gotcha, I remembered the 32" at least :(.

My bad. I was assuming this was a T8. Im still not used to the new zoomed T5HO 5.0 being referred as a 5.0 :p

Im still not sure why zoomed has a 24" recommendation, its output at that distance is more than double what their T8 10.0 is. So if they market the T8 10.0 as "desert" i cant imagine the poor creature they have on the 10.0 T8HO.

More foliage will at least provide cover from the intense UVB when the chameleon has absorbed enough for the day. Also remember UVB is reflective. Even under heavy cover, reptiles still absorb UVB that is reflecting off the ground, leaves, etc. I’ve used the Arcadia 6.0 for a few years now, my solarmeter readings are similar to natural sunlight on a bright day from the top screen, all the way down to about 10 inches. Chameleons will spend more time near the top of the cage, therefore it’s important to provide good cover and basking areas where the light isn’t too intense.

Smaller fixtures mean the bulbs have lower output. This means a 48” bulb will put out more light/UVB and across a wider area, than a 24” bulb. Screen also filters at least 30% of the output. Foliage screens out some, of well organized and thoughtfully applied. I think a 10.0 could work fine, placed across one side, from the front to the back of the cage. This reduces the are saturated with UVB. Keep the perches about 10” from the bulbs and make sure there is a basking bulb that contains no UVB, at least 12” from the are under the UVB, so he can access heat, without being forced to expose himself to strong UVB. I think it’s much harder to harm chameleons with florescent bulbs than people think. I’m using 12% or 14% ( can’t recall at the moment ) T8 bulbs and 165 watt mega rays, with parsons (GASP), and most people would swear that parsons hate the light and one person even said MV would kill them! Of course, my enclosure is 6’10” tall and densely planted. I’ve found the parsons practically pressed against the bulbs many times ( the screen is large enough for them to touch the bulbs, but the hot basking and MV bulbs are protected from contact with them ) and they are happy, healthy, and don’t ever hide in the shade from the lights.

Back
Top Bottom