Lighting question..

MissMeela

Established Member
The enclosure that I have for my 9 month old male veiled chameleon is 24" x 24" x 48". I've found some cool LED light strips that I think would look cool in his enclosure.. maybe to add more light and be kinda fancy! Is there any reason I shouldn't use those types of lights? They are just tube style about 12" long. Was just gonna add one to each side of the top, (2 total).. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

The enclosure that I have for my 9 month old male veiled chameleon is 24" x 24" x 48". I've found some cool LED light strips that I think would look cool in his enclosure.. maybe to add more light and be kinda fancy! Is there any reason I shouldn't use those types of lights? They are just tube style about 12" long. Was just gonna add one to each side of the top, (2 total).. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Excellent topic MissMeela!

I usually don't get into these type posts because they can require so much detailed explanation I would be at a keyboard typing for hours.

But I understand where you are at and I like your thinking...
The short answer may be - OK go ahead and try if you want... and show us some pics. :)

However, here are some things about light to keep in mind.

The thing to know is there is "light" and then there is LIGHT.
:)

Think of crappy old flo. office lighting that gives office workers under it 24/7 head-aches and eyestrain vs. full spectrum sunlight that energizes the body and prevents S.A.D.

You don't want to end up with office worker chams with headaches if you know what I mean. ?

I would wonder what is the spectrum, CRI (color rendering index) etc. of these LEDs?
It could be OK...
or more than likely just "eh" if they are the usual lower quality consumer no-brand Asian diodes.

This is the HARDEST THING I TRY AND EXPLAIN.. just because it is "LED" people think it is the newest "CRAZE"... it does not mean the light is better. Most times it is WORSE than a good full spectrum flo. bulb.

It is all about the quality of the light itself, not what is generating it.

In a nutshell, when we light enclosures, we want the most natural full spectrum light we can get out hands on.
Why...?
Because all life on earth evolved under our suns full spectrum rays, and so that is the template of light to shoot for when bringing the outside in.

I am afraid too many LED emitting diodes fall short of giving of true light.

So would these work... maybe.
Chances are they are going to be not as bright than you think and may not have the intensity the chlorophyll in the plants needs to synthesis sugar.

Here is the spectrum of natural sunlight and the spectrum of your average consumer run of the mill LED diodes. See below.

(Jungle Dawn uses the high CRI LEDs and blends the spectrums together.)

Also, there are no commercially available LED lights that give off UV correctly for reptile use.. here is why:

excerpt from a recent e-mail to a customer:

".... at some point it may be feasible, but it is still a way off I am afraid.
At the moment there is more to it because of the whole spectral curve that is needed to mimic sunlight--
and to get the spectral curve -
it would take ... well....
without writing a long discourse.....
it would take right now a $1000.00+ cost to manufacture the LED unit to create a spectral curve of UV A&B light as good as you can get out of a 28.00 HO t5 flo. Arcadia bulb.

That is really more the nut of it.
"

Anyway... hope this random insight helps readers.

Thanks, good question!
Todd

Natural Sunlight, 2 types of LED Diodes- and these graphs only show visible light, they do not address the all important UVB.

Attachments

• SunlightSpectrumGraph.jpg
    SunlightSpectrumGraph.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 66
  • download (5).jpg
    download (5).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thank you for that information Venutus1!! Originally I had seen the idea for LED lights online that were built in to a cage.. I will post some pics if/when I do decide to do this!!

I have to agree that you explained it very well. My husband is a Systems Engineer (IT) and I swear when he trys to explain the most simple thing to me its like hes speaking a language that he made up only I have headphones on or something lol:D

Back
Top Bottom