Lighting Question-MVB

herpluv

Hey, I have been looking into lighting sources, and I was particularly looking at the Mercury Vapor Bulbs. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or know anything about them being good or bad for chameleons. I visited a site that specializes in them www.retileuv.com so if you want to look for yourself please do. Also, if anyone else has any suggustions I would love them as well as I am sure many others would love to learn more as well.

I have used MVB's on chameleons before, but unless you have a huge enclosure, I would not consider them ideal. I prefer the good ole' Reptisun 5.0's.... JMHO though.....

I agree with Jamie...though I haven't tried them myself, I've heard MVB's offer no more benefits than 5.0's and could contribute to overheating. I too just stick to 5.0's and 7.0's.

PS...Jamie..LOVE your gorgeous fellow, Archimedes! :)

LunaC said:
I agree with Jamie...though I haven't tried them myself, I've heard MVB's offer no more benefits than 5.0's and could contribute to overheating. I too just stick to 5.0's and 7.0's.

PS...Jamie..LOVE your gorgeous fellow, Archimedes! :)

Thanks Luna!!! What I wouldn't give for your Quasi!!!!

The MVB's can be good, under the right circumstances. They are just so powerful that it makes placement for a cham cage a challenge.... The chams need to be able to escape the UV rays when they want to... as well as the heat (by the time you get the lamp far enough away from the top of the enclosure to meet the chams needs, the heat has pretty much dissipated).... I don't think they are as effective for the dual purpose of supplying heat and uv for chams as they are for... say..... Bearded Dragons... Just my thoughts though....

Back
Top Bottom