Lighting Prohibition

Swayne8998

Established Member
Hey folks. So I am planning on getting a Jackson's chameleon here soon... they only thing is the cage. His cage has a wooden top, not screen... What do you recommend? Would drilling holes in the top allow sufficient light? Thanks :)

EDIT: I am getting this Jackson's from someone off of Craigslist.org. This cage comes with him, I am planning to build him a new one soon, but I can't right now so I need some info on how to make this work for a little bit.

cut out a hole that is big enough to let the light shine through, but small enough the lamp wont fall through.

or replace the top with mesh.

cut out a hole that is big enough to let the light shine through, but small enough the lamp wont fall through.

or replace the top with mesh.

Oh yeah that sounds like a nice idea!... can't believe I didn't think of that lol :) The only thing is it might be a little hard to replace with mesh, but I'll see what works.

Camimom you are the bomb! Excellent, fast advice.

Thank ya.
I actually just replaced the tops of my homemade cages with tile board, since my cat found it amusing to sleep on top, which pushed the mesh down into my cages, and allowed my female veiled to get out.

So I cut 3 holes, one for my uvb bulb, and two for my basking lights. so light shines down, but cat cant destroy the cage! :D

or u can use hardware cloth. stronger, more light gets though and just like scxreen use staples to put it on and its about the same price.
just have to make sure the crickets cant get to it or they will get out.

i just changed out the screen on the top of mine for the hardware cloth, 1/4 inch spacing and its 10x brighter in the cage and my cham has gotten a lot more color. and the top of my cage is 95% cricket proof. only 1 spot they can get to it at and they have to get past my cham to get there if they get out of his feeder.

or u can use hardware cloth. stronger, more light gets though and just like scxreen use staples to put it on and its about the same price.
just have to make sure the crickets cant get to it or they will get out.

i just changed out the screen on the top of mine for the hardware cloth, 1/4 inch spacing and its 10x brighter in the cage and my cham has gotten a lot more color. and the top of my cage is 95% cricket proof. only 1 spot they can get to it at and they have to get past my cham to get there if they get out of his feeder.

I would just go to Home depot and get a few pieces of like 1.75 wood, screen mesh, and some hinges. So much easier than messing with the stupid top he had on it and you can customize it the way you may want it. I am building my own enclosure for my new jackson I am getting later this month and I am building a drip system into it and some other things.

I would just go to Home depot and get a few pieces of like 1.75 wood, screen mesh, and some hinges. So much easier than messing with the stupid top he had on it and you can customize it the way you may want it. I am building my own enclosure for my new jackson I am getting later this month and I am building a drip system into it and some other things.

Yeah I will soon be building my guy a new enclosure because this is a little small for him.

Back
Top Bottom