Lighting Help

JoshD49

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello All,

I just want to start by saying thanks for all the help in my previous thread! Amazing help.

I am now starting to prep to get the cage going and want to get a few things down. I will be going with a veiled so all the recommendations should keep that in mind.

1. Lights - I am getting mixed reviews on this topic with either a 10 or a 5. Can you guys recommend me a setup of heat and UVB that would be best for veiled. I know most recommend a t8 strip but what fixtures for both?

2. Mist system- I am looking at the monsoon rs 400 for ease of setup since it has the tank. The mistking was my initial plan but the setup is complicated and costly. Also needs a water bucket I believe. Also will I still need a humidifier and drip system if I go with either of these mist systems? Also what misting schedule would be best?

Will also need a breeder soon ;).

Thanks again for all your time and advice.
Josh

I would look into Arcadia for uvb, 6% are good, if not that reptisun 5.0 or 10.00 both seem to do well. I have used both without issue.

Also, I know you said mistking is costly, but monsoons are pretty low quality and will have to be replaced when it inevitably breaks at some point several months down the road. Plus I'm pretty sure they only mist like 2 minutes at a time? I'd just hand mist until I could afford a mistking.

Forgot to answer your other questions... humidifier will depend on the humidity, with live plants, and a good misting routine, I doubt you'd need one. Most people do more harm than good with them.

For misting schedule, I do 7-10 minute misting right when lights turn on and then another 5 minute misting am hour before lights go off for the night. Has worked well for me so far.

Will this mistaking system (attached) be enough or does it need more then one nozzle?

For the light what light fixtures would work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180611-201621.png
    Screenshot_20180611-201621.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 92
One nozzle will work but if you want to cover the whole enclosure, you may need a second one. Its a very easy set up tbh. Hardest part was drilling your bucket to install the bulkhead. Mine kept leaking because I forgot to put the oring in place that they include.

Other than that, its pretty straight forward. Plan where you want to put your nozzle/nozzles, run the tubing and figure out where you need to cut and where to place the T fitting if using two nozzles. Also, figure out a way to keep the pump below the reservoir so the water feeds into the pump. I originally used a couple blocks of wood the raise the bucket up about 5 inches so the pump was below it.

Its also a very easy system to add to and I currently have one pump spraying both my chameleon and my frogs.

Skip the t8 fixture and go with a t5ho fixture and bulb the correct size for your cage. If you have to have a little hang over of light for now that is FAR better then running an undersized unit for your cham. As mentioned either Arcadia or zoo med bulbs will be fine. Pangea has pretty decent prices on the zoo med unit with bulb if you wanted to go that route. I don't know when she is expecting her next hatch or availability but @jannb is one of the best for veilds.

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I asked the same question twice @jamest0o0 . I am listening and just want to learn. I didn't know the brand of the fixture and the bulb may have the same brand. For fish it's different.

I will just setup for 2 nozzle right off the bat if it's better to have. I will only have the one cage for now but like that it can expand if needed.

I spoke to @jannb already and she will not be breading. Thanks for the recommendation as I have talked to her and have now doubt she would have the best babies for me. I was very sad she said she is done.

The Mist King setup is no complicated. The monsoon is of low quality. I would get the Mist King anyway. I have one and it is amazing.

Thanks for the info. Sorry if I asked the same question twice @jamest0o0 . I am listening and just want to learn. I didn't know the brand of the fixture and the bulb may have the same brand. For fish it's different.

I will just setup for 2 nozzle right off the bat if it's better to have. I will only have the one cage for now but like that it can expand if needed.

I spoke to @jannb already and she will not be breading. Thanks for the recommendation as I have talked to her and have now doubt she would have the best babies for me. I was very sad she said she is done.

Interesting, sorry, I didn't know she was done breeding :(. As far as the fixture and bulb go, it is not much unlike fish. As far as "arcadia branded" light fixtures, single tube fixtures are rebranded sun blaze, sun blaster or hydrofarm units. The dual and quad tube fixtures are typically rebranded odyssea fixtures. Zoo med has their own t5ho fixture that some places still have inventory of the version that comes with the bulb. How ever the two most recommended uvb bulb brands are the arcadia #1 and zoo med #2. You can use what ever fixture you want to if you already have an extra t5ho fixture from your fish just buy the right uvb bulb length for it. I recycled two units I had on my fish tanks when I took them down and got into chams myself. Just make sure to remove the acrylic lens if you do.

So I’ve used a monsoon system for over two years without problems. Now it’s hooked up to a more expensive automation unit, so I can mist on whatever schedule I want. I’ve been waiting to switch to mistking, but the thing hasn’t broken yet. The mist king also comes with a small 2.5 gallon reservoir and will become damaged if it runs dry. The mistkings are self priming, can safely run dry, and use a reservoir as large as you can provide. Just make sure you use R.O. water or distilled, this will help the mister last much longer. Look for the t5 fixture, the bulbs last much longer than the older t8 style. I would use the 10.0 or the 12.0, but I would also use my solarmeter to make sure I wasn’t potentially oversaturating with UVB. The stronger bulbs work best in enclosures where there is heavy cover, actually the chameleon works best in heavy cover as well.

Thanks guys! Also should I go with 75 or 50 for the heat lamp bulb?

For misting I don't want the water to get out of the enclosure but if I put covers on the side doesn't that negate the whole open air cage?

I think mine is 50 and my cham seems happy

Thanks. I was thinking that but saw some people run 75 so I wanted to ask.

I'm still a little confused on the uvb and if I should run 5 or 10. Seems to have a lot of mixed feelings on this.

As for the mister I will take your guys advice and go mistaking and add a second sprayer. Just don't know how to keep the water in. The cage was going to be in my office so water all over won't be good but don't want to do the glass cage.

Thanks. I was thinking that but saw some people run 75 so I wanted to ask.

I'm still a little confused on the uvb and if I should run 5 or 10. Seems to have a lot of mixed feelings on this.

As for the mister I will take your guys advice and go mistaking and add a second sprayer. Just don't know how to keep the water in. The cage was going to be in my office so water all over won't be good but don't want to do the glass cage.

For heat, start with a 50w bulb. Measure the temps in the cage and on the basking spot. If the basking spot is at a good temp for your species of chameleon, leave the bulb alone. If you cant get the temp high enough on the branch without getting the branch too close to the bulb then go with a high watt. Wattage is all dependant on the cage and ambient room temps. Brand can also affect how well heat is distributed.

UVB, if it is heavily planted go with a 10.0 and see how your chameleon reacts. If you notice him squinting of closing his eyes alot, go with a 5.0. If you dont have a lot of plants covering the top half of the cage then go with a 5.0.

As for your drainage question, there is a whole thread in the enclosures section on different drainage systems. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-systems-for-cages-get-creative.102038/

Mine for example: Drilled holes in my cage floor, put the cage on a wire shelf and under the shelf is a shallow storage bin to catch all the water. Empty the water ever few days.

You can make it simple like mine or go elaborate with it. It all depends on what works best for you.

What bulb brand do you guys recommend for the heat bulb?

@Graves923 I will be doing something like you did either the wire shelf or with and actual cabinet and still a hole but seal the wood of course. I just want to have a cover for the drain pan and the mister resivoir.

I setup the flukers mini heat fixture and bought an exo terra 75w bulb but the problem is that the temp is only around 84 at 8in away. What temp gauges do you use. I bought a combo temp and humidity one from exo terra. Could this reading be incorrect or is the equipment just not good?

This is the one I am currently using as confirmation but it seems about 5 degrees off from the in cage one. Would it be better to use an in cage therm that has a separate humidity sensor instead of having them all in one?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180717_095502.jpg
    MVIMG_20180717_095502.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom