Lighting for exo terra

fabem

Hi,

In about two weeks I am going to receive my first chameleon: True Blue Nosy Be Panther Chameleon.
I bought already an exo terra glass enclosure 90cm x 45cm x 90cm: (PT2609)
and currently I am focusing on lighting for this enclosure.

Of course I tried to do already some research on my own and I would like to go with the exo terra fixtures - if possible.
Currently I am thinking which of these option would be the best:

1) exo terra linear top 90cm (PT2248) with 1x white light bulb + 1x UVB bulb
1594296144967.png

and exo terra terrarium fixture (PT2240) with 1x basking bulb
1594296092480.png

2) exo terra compact top 90cm (PT2228) with 2x white light bulbs + 2x UVB bulbs (or another combination here?)
1594296027927.png

3) maybe a completely different option or should I even consider different fixtures than the exo terra ones?

Unfortunately at this point I am not sure which bulbs and from which brand I should get them.
If you could give me also some advice here I would it appreciate a lot.

Thanks

Best regards
Fab

At this moment I am not yet buying - still searching for the best solution for my situation.

I was reading this article and Bill says here "I will have a quad T5 bulb fixture with four 6500K white light bulbs, a single bulb fixture for UVB, and a 10” reflector for my basking bulb.".
So, I was thinking about how to make a similar setup in my enclosure - but yeah, I came to this forum because I am not sure about this for now.

At this moment I am not yet buying - still searching for the best solution for my situation.

I was reading this article and Bill says here "I will have a quad T5 bulb fixture with four 6500K white light bulbs, a single bulb fixture for UVB, and a 10” reflector for my basking bulb.".
So, I was thinking about how to make a similar setup in my enclosure - but yeah, I came to this forum because I am not sure about this for now.
Everyone I know just has one T5HO linear fixture.

Hi,

In about two weeks I am going to receive my first chameleon: True Blue Nosy Be Panther Chameleon.
I bought already an exo terra glass enclosure 90cm x 45cm x 90cm: (PT2609)
and currently I am focusing on lighting for this enclosure.

Of course I tried to do already some research on my own and I would like to go with the exo terra fixtures - if possible.
Currently I am thinking which of these option would be the best:

1) exo terra linear top 90cm (PT2248) with 1x white light bulb + 1x UVB bulb
View attachment 271623
View attachment 271622

2) exo terra compact top 90cm (PT2228) with 2x white light bulbs + 2x UVB bulbs (or another combination here?)
View attachment 271621

3) maybe a completely different option or should I even consider different fixtures than the exo terra ones?

Unfortunately at this point I am not sure which bulbs and from which brand I should get them.
If you could give me also some advice here I would it appreciate a lot.

Thanks

Best regards
Fab

So if your going to go with the exo terra fixtures ( thanks for providing pics) Then you want option 1. I am assuming that is a T5HO fixture correct? If so that works perfectly and yes your second bulb would be a daylight bulb. Then for the basking you want to use a regular incandescent bulb. Avoid the focused heat bulbs. :)

Other option is Arcadia Pro T5... Depends really on what you want though.

Everyone I know just has one T5HO linear fixture.
But if you're sure its safe the you can do it.
I run 3 T5 fixtures... 1 for uvb and 2 for daylight bulbs which assist plant growth and lighting up the cage. It is safe... The difference is you have to be more mindful of your temperatures on set up because the T5's produce a bit of heat.

You have to be careful with a Exo Terra enclose because they hold the heat and humidity different than a screen cage. I would go with no 1 fixture if you want Exo, with a Arcadia 6% and 6500 grow light. Then your basking bulb you will have to play with different watts to get the temp right. I run a 36x36x18. Exo

Last edited:
So if your going to go with the exo terra fixtures ( thanks for providing pics) Then you want option 1. I am assuming that is a T5HO fixture correct? If so that works perfectly and yes your second bulb would be a daylight bulb. Then for the basking you want to use a regular incandescent bulb. Avoid the focused heat bulbs. :)

Other option is Arcadia Pro T5... Depends really on what you want though.

Thank you very much for this answer!
I started to search for the first option fixture
1594336214737.png

but unfortunately it is not available in Europe to buy - at least I cant find in any shop in Poland or Germany.
I would really like to go with an exo terra fixture because I think it would look much better with the cage.

Do you think it is also possible to make a proper setup with the second option, the CFL fixture?
1594337042746.png

Bill writes in his articles (1 & 2) that its possible to use CFL's but it could be a bit more tricky.
Unfortunately I have no idea what combination of bulbs I should use for the 4 fixtures :(
Especially because Bill says:
"Because bulbs are facing each other they block/absorb each other’s light. So to get the same amount of UVB out they have to produce more UVB. This process results in UVB levels in the first couple inches of the bulb at UVI 60 all the way up to UVI 180 (and this is measuring through screen)."

So, perhaps I should go with 2 white light bulbs on the left side and two UVB bulbs on the right side?
Do you have maybe an idea?

You have to be careful with a Exo Terra enclose because they hold the heat and humidity different than a screen cage. I would go with no 1 fixture if you want Exo, with a Arcadia 6% and 6500 grow light. Then your basking bulb you will have to play with different watts to get the temp right. I run a 36x36x18. Exo

Thanks for the hint, I will control how the lighting is going to affect the temperature and humidity.
Unfortunately, the option 1 fixture (linear) is not available to buy in Europe :(

Do you have an idea how I could make a proper setup with the second fixture, using CFL's?

Thank you very much for this answer!
I started to search for the first option fixture
View attachment 271676

but unfortunately it is not available in Europe to buy - at least I cant find in any shop in Poland or Germany.
I would really like to go with an exo terra fixture because I think it would look much better with the cage.

Do you think it is also possible to make a proper setup with the second option, the CFL fixture?
View attachment 271677

Bill writes in his articles (1 & 2) that its possible to use CFL's but it could be a bit more tricky.
Unfortunately I have no idea what combination of bulbs I should use for the 4 fixtures :(
Especially because Bill says:
"Because bulbs are facing each other they block/absorb each other’s light. So to get the same amount of UVB out they have to produce more UVB. This process results in UVB levels in the first couple inches of the bulb at UVI 60 all the way up to UVI 180 (and this is measuring through screen)."

So, perhaps I should go with 2 white light bulbs on the left side and two UVB bulbs on the right side?
Do you have maybe an idea?
You should not use CFL’s at all honesty. Chance of a cham developing mbd is much more likely with them. I would recommend looking into the Arcadia pro t5 especially since your doing a glass cage... your going to have to really watch your temps. The hooded fixtures put off quite a bit of heat.

You should not use CFL’s at all honesty. Chance of a cham developing mbd is much more likely with them. I would recommend looking into the Arcadia pro t5 especially since your doing a glass cage... your going to have to really watch your temps. The hooded fixtures put off quite a bit of heat.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice. I will definitely take the T5 into consideration because it seems you are right and it would be the healthier solution.
But I try to do some more research before I order them.

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for your time and advice. I will definitely take the T5 into consideration because it seems you are right and it would be the healthier solution.
But I try to do some more research before I order them.

Thanks again!
Your welcome. You are in the UK and getting your hands on the Arcadia lighting products should be so much easier for you there... If this were my set up I would buy this
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/
and this https://www.arcadiareptile.com/jungledawn-ledbar/
Just one of each. The Pro t5 you want in a 6% uvb bulb. Then the LED jungle dawn bar will put out less heat but light it up beautifully.
They will link up to one another using one power cord. Get them in 90cm length so they run the entire width of your cage.

Your welcome. You are in the UK and getting your hands on the Arcadia lighting products should be so much easier for you there... If this were my set up I would buy this
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/
and this https://www.arcadiareptile.com/jungledawn-ledbar/
Just one of each. The Pro t5 you want in a 6% uvb bulb. Then the LED jungle dawn bar will put out less heat but light it up beautifully.
They will link up to one another using one power cord. Get them in 90cm length so they run the entire width of your cage.

Thanks! The jungle dawn led bar looks quite nice :)
Do you know how wide this fixtures are - I searched for it on the internet but couldnt find any info.
I guess for my cage I should choose the 87cm length.

Thanks! The jungle dawn led bar looks quite nice :)
Do you know how wide this fixtures are - I searched for it on the internet but couldnt find any info.
I guess for my cage I should choose the 87cm length.
So the jungle dawn would be the 87cm because your enclosure is 90. Then the pro t5 would be the 90cm but you want to make sure you get it with the 6% uvb bulb. :)

The jungle dawn led bar looks quite nice
I run a Jungle Dawn LED bar 34inch 51W from Arcadia for my plants and a Tropic Blaze for my UVB. Again you have to be very careful with
how your enclosure is going to hold heat. I have my basking bulb on a separate timer that turns on and off if things get to warm. It took me about 2 weeks playing with everything it get things right, but that is with most enclosures

I run a Jungle Dawn LED bar 34inch 51W from Arcadia for my plants and a Tropic Blaze for my UVB. Again you have to be very careful with
how your enclosure is going to hold heat. I have my basking bulb on a separate timer that turns on and off if things get to warm. It took me about 2 weeks playing with everything it get things right, but that is with most enclosures
Hey hun... I do not have first hand experience with the jungle dawn led bars... Do they put out a bit of heat as well? I know my T5's do.

Back
Top Bottom