Lighting/Chameleon Sleep

Psydeways

Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find the answer when I searched the forums.

Do chameleons need to be in total darkness for 12 hours a day??

When I get my baby panther, I was planning on keeping him in my living room (I live in a 1 bedroom flat so no other space for him) where he will have his heat/UVB lamp on for 12 hours a day (8am - 8pm). Then after the lamp is switched off, he'll have very dim lighting (floor lamp on the other side of the room) for 3/4 hours and then total darkness from 11/12pm through till sunrise/when his lamp switches on at 8am.

Will this routine be OK for him or do they actually need 12 hours of total darkness every day???

Thanks in advance!

i was in a similar situation with my first chameleon, he was in my living room and we tended to have a small light on across the room from him after his bed time too. it never really seemed to bother him! i always took a sheet and tucked it around the side of his cage that was towards the light, making sure it wasnt wrapped all the way around his cage so he had plenty of airflow, and he went to sleep just fine as soon as his lights were off and he was in his bed time spot :) i would take the sheet down in the morning when i turned his lights on :)

thats my personal experience tho!!

Total darkness? probably not.

My chameleon never has issues sleeping.. I turn his heat/uvb bulbs off as soon as I see him in his little ficus (bed I guess) and then he turns all green and goes to sleep. I keep my light on in the room and he falls asleep just fine. I stay up a couple hours after he goes to sleep and he wakes up sometimes, but always falls asleep at least by 9:00 and always gets his 12 hrs of sleep anyways.

Thanks!! Really glad to hear this as it only just came to mind and had me thinking I might not be able to keep one!

again, on the cars sheet on this here site...

"Lights should be on for 10-12 hours each day and then total darkness at night."

so it is recommended to make it as dark as possible at night, i cover part my veiled cage with a towel.

ALSO AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION SHOULD NOT CONTAIN THE FOLLOWING WORD>>> "PROBABLY"

Back
Top Bottom