Lighting and reptarium

WTF

If I use a Zoo Med 100w power sun bulb in the deep dome fixture over a reptarium enclosure, should I place it on the fabric or use a stand to suspend it over the enclosure?

I'm worried about about damaging the fabric or overheating my chameleon.

If your worried about burning your Cham, you will first need to measure the degrees of the basking spot. For a baby veiled you want between 80-83. Just don't let it exceed 85. If its hotter than 85 you want to elevate it until you get the desired temperature.

If I use a Zoo Med 100w power sun bulb in the deep dome fixture over a reptarium enclosure, should I place it on the fabric or use a stand to suspend it over the enclosure?

I'm worried about about damaging the fabric or overheating my chameleon.

Dear WTF,

And please remember...
Watch out for the 2 types of "burning".

Are you concerned about burning your animal with too much UV, or thermal burns cause by him / her touching the light (or ht dome) or basking in the *heat* too close??

Power suns emit UV, and sometimes in what we call "hot spots" of UV.....and too much UV would be considered Sun Burning your pets skin. Just like a light skinned person getting a bad sun-burn.

But the bulb also throws heat to have the animal bask in , and they can physically burn your animal,
especially if it is anywhere in the cage (bad, bad - no unprotected/ screened over hot bulbs in cage) where he / she could accidentally brush up against it or fall and touch the bulb.

One thing, usually the animal will have some sense and not sit under a bulb and physically burn themselves. In other words, they will (usually) know enough to get out of the heat.
But UV burns are a different thing, if there is no other basking spot in they cage and they MUST sit under a new, high UV out-put bulb to get warm, then sometimes they can get severely sun-burned by UV radiation.

It is highly recommend if using Mercury Vapor, like power sun,
to have 2 basking spots / dome lights ....
One with the UV spot, and one dome light est up with with a NON UV Emitting bulb.(Even household light bulb of appropriate wattage is OK)

So that way they can get warm under a non UV bulb too if they want....without being forced to be exposed to high levels of UV (ultra-violet radiation) if they do not want to be.

Does that make any sense?
(It's in the wee hours of the morning I am typing this ....and I feel like I am rambling ... ha ha ;) )

Good luck with your Cham and Cheers!
Todd

Thank you for the explanation I was only worried about the heat and in my haste to give UV totally overlooked what now if obvious to me the UV burn. Thank you again I will take your advice

Back
Top Bottom