Light Your Reptiles - Tropic Blaze HO T5 Quad Fixture Issues

NERVOUS

Avid Member
Has anyone else here experienced issues with sockets breaking apart while replacing bulbs in a Light Your Reptiles Tropic Blaze HO T5 Quad Fixture?

I have 2 of these fixtures; which had both been performing well to-date. However, when I tried replacing the bulbs 10 of the 16 sockets broke apart. It didn't matter how delicate and careful I was while removing the old bulbs, the sockets were so brittle they simply broke apart. Please see pictures below.

NOTE: Each fixture has 8 sockets (i.e. 4 bulbs per fixture, 2 sockets per bulb).

Please let me know if you've experienced this issue too. I'm trying to decide between repairing the broken sockets or replacing the fixtures with something else.

Thanks!

Have you contacted the seller? He might replace the socket parts for a reasonable fee. Worth asking.

Yes, I contacted Todd at Light Your Reptiles. He was very responsive and offered to sell me the replacement sockets for a little less than $25 (shipped).

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is a common problem or if there's possibly something about my setup that caused the sockets to fail. If there's something I can change in my setup to prevent this from happening again, then I'll try replacing the sockets and hope for the best going forward. If it's a common problem, then I don't want to throw more money at it.

I have seen a few issues, but not anything that would suggest a defect or being a caused by husbandry. Todd is great and stands behind the products he sells. I love my quad fixture!!!

Yes it happened to me twice. I believe the newer units have different ends and hopefully will last longer. My first time changing a bulb a couple literally broke into several small pieces. Todd sent me new end pieces and fortunately i have the proper crimping tool and a supply of butt connectors to complete the job. I think the heat from the bulbs make the plastic brittle and I don't know of a way to prevent it from occurring.

Looks like they became brittle with all the residual heat. My quad was one of the last tropic blaze units he had awhile back. It uses a different socket structure. When I realized how warm the fixture got, I was worried about that exact issue.

Back
Top Bottom