Votes: 120 30.9%
  • 6-9 months

Votes: 225 58.0%
  • why new bulbs?

Votes: 17 4.4%
  • I use a uvb meter

Votes: 23 5.9%

• Total voters
I don't use UVB bulbs. Just plain old UV, with lots of sunlight during the summer, and the odd d3 dusting during the winter. They also get a lot of sun in our 'sun room' during the winter as well.

I think UVB bulbs are a total gimmick. The UVB in them burns out after just a week of use, and isn't very potent unless the lizard is RIGHT next to the light.

There's no way, absolutely no way (with modern technology, of course anything's possible), to mimic the sun, and the range of UVB strength throughout even just one single day.

That said, I prefer to use 4 foot UV 'shop light' fixtures, and I use one Verilux tube (has UVB, and they are pretty cheap at 15$ compared to the 70$ for zoo-med's rip offs), and one normal plant growing tube. I also like to provide a blue bulb and an infra-red bulb at different times of the day and at different distances.

I use the brightest bulb I can find for a basking lamp, as I believe brightness plays a big role in health; just as much as heat itself. A range of brightness, of course, not 100% bright 100% of the time.

My experience has been that Zoomed flourescent tube UVB lights always exceed the 6 month recommendation. I regularly check my lights with a UVB meter and it confirms that this manufacturers lights often last up to 9 months.

If your light is failing to produce UVB , you should notice your cham spending a lot more time under the fixture as it tries to absorb as much of the diminished UVB radiation as possible.

What 6 month recommendation?

My zoomed 5.0 tube says "Replace yearly"

I have been using this one for about 5 months now, so I should best replace it in 4 months' time you say?

What 6 month recommendation?

My zoomed 5.0 tube says "Replace yearly"

I have been using this one for about 5 months now, so I should best replace it in 4 months' time you say?

The only way to be sure is with a UVB meter. When I didn't own a meter I was replacing mine at 6 months.

Already bought a new one,
I'll replace it every 8 months,
A friend of mine said the uv intensity of his zoomed tubes really starts dropping when they're 8 months old.

Already bought a new one,
I'll replace it every 8 months,
A friend of mine said the uv intensity of his zoomed tubes really starts dropping when they're 8 months old.

My point is that you don't know what your lamp is outputting. To go off of his isn't always a great idea since there can be bad lamps floating around. I have encountered 4 from one shop. If he has a meter you could use, I would barrow it and double check your lamps every so often just to be sure. Although, if you give your animal direct sunlight often, it shouldn't be as much of a concern.

I don't use UVB bulbs. Just plain old UV, with lots of sunlight during the summer, and the odd d3 dusting during the winter. They also get a lot of sun in our 'sun room' during the winter as well.

I think UVB bulbs are a total gimmick. The UVB in them burns out after just a week of use, and isn't very potent unless the lizard is RIGHT next to the light.

There's no way, absolutely no way (with modern technology, of course anything's possible), to mimic the sun, and the range of UVB strength throughout even just one single day.

That said, I prefer to use 4 foot UV 'shop light' fixtures, and I use one Verilux tube (has UVB, and they are pretty cheap at 15$ compared to the 70$ for zoo-med's rip offs), and one normal plant growing tube. I also like to provide a blue bulb and an infra-red bulb at different times of the day and at different distances.

I use the brightest bulb I can find for a basking lamp, as I believe brightness plays a big role in health; just as much as heat itself. A range of brightness, of course, not 100% bright 100% of the time.

Brock what do you mean uv shoplite? Do you have a link to one of these that you are using?

If I had a spair light fitting/starter motor would there be a notable advantage to keeping my old bulb in addition to a new one in with the chameleon after this '6 month period' which I am about to reach (got mine in may)?

If I had a spair light fitting/starter motor would there be a notable advantage to keeping my old bulb in addition to a new one in with the chameleon after this '6 month period' which I am about to reach (got mine in may)?

What do ya mean fitting/starter motor?

You have a new lamp starter with an old lamp and want to know if that will affect output?

If you use a Zoo Med lamp. They tend to last up to 9 months..... output is lower obviously... I wouldn't go longer than 9 months on a 5.0 without checking the output with a meter.

I have some 10.0s I have been using for more than a year. They aren't putting out TONs of UVB like they did brand new, but the output is enough since I have lowered them closer to the basking spot.

Back
Top Bottom