Light recommendations ?

ToxiccKiwii

Hey guys,

So, medium story short, it hasn't even been a full three months yet, and I've had one of my lights blow out on me twice... I'm not sure if it's from misting, or something else but, it went out on me this morning when the timer turned on; I was already in there getting some crickets together when I heard the timer click, and it went from super bright, to popping and going out within seconds. Luckily the basking light covers daylight/UVA but it's not nearly as bright...

Currently I have a 16*16*30 screen cage, running a Zoo-Med daylight blue in 60W, and a basking spot lamp, 50W in a deep-set double dome housing, buttt- I'm also in the process of putting together a new 24*24*48 cage. I have it set up, I'm just doing finishing touches on the drainage system for the vanity it's gonna sit on, so it'll be another week or so of grinding on that....

I was thinking maybe just leaving the blue light out, and just putting the money towards the new lights for the bigger cage, but I figured come ask you guys what you'd recommend for lights that don't suck, since the ones I have now for whatever reason either can't handle the humidity or maybe the housing is questionable..

Much appreciated in advance ! :love:
IMG_8016.JPG

The blue lights use to do that to me all the time. It’s from getting mist on them. I literally went through like 8 of them in the span of one year. I finally stopped using them. There’s another brand you can get at the pet store. It’s called daytime heat lamp. It’s 60watts and comes in a yellow box. But if you want to save some money you don’t need anything fancy from the pet store. You can use any household light bulb. As long as it’s strong enough to produce a proper basking temp (y)

The blue lights use to do that to me all the time. It’s from getting mist on them. I literally went through like 8 of them in the span of one year. I finally stopped using them. There’s another brand you can get at the pet store. It’s called daytime heat lamp. It’s 60watts and comes in a yellow box. But if you want to save some money you don’t need anything fancy from the pet store. You can use any household light bulb. As long as it’s strong enough to produce a proper basking temp (y)

Yeah, this is the one that's left in there right now (not that high of wattage though)... it covers all the bases, it's just not nearly as bright...

I'm not sure what the temp difference is now without the second light, I had to leave for work before it got up to temp, so I'll have to check it when I get back home. The ambient temp in that room is between 70-80 depending on the day, so I don't know if he'll really even notice the difference much regardless butttt, we'll see!!

Attachments

• BASKING.JPG
    BASKING.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 56
Those bulbs are a scam. Regular incandescent light bulbs work just fine. They are hard to find but the Dollar tree carries them 2 or 3 for $1. stock up, they almost became illegal in the US about 5 years ago. I think they are illegal in Canada. Walmart carries the halogen that looks the same but it will say something like 100 watt equivalent that is actually like 72 watts.

I use LEDs for all lighting except for my animals that need UVB or heat, and those nitches are getting harder to fill.

BTW, I support local owned pet shops most of the time but I don't buy those bulbs. some things are actually cheaper (or very close to the same price) than online.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is the one that's left in there right now (not that high of wattage though)... it covers all the bases, it's just not nearly as bright...

I'm not sure what the temp difference is now without the second light, I had to leave for work before it got up to temp, so I'll have to check it when I get back home. The ambient temp in that room is between 70-80 depending on the day, so I don't know if he'll really even notice the difference much regardless butttt, we'll see!!

That one should work fine. 75watts is plenty. You just want your basking spot at least around 85.

Just buy household incandescent bulbs at your nearest hardware store and save yourselves a bunch of money... They are just as good.

Those bulbs are a scam. Regular incandescent light bulbs work just fine. They are hard to find but the Dollar tree carries them 2 or 3 for $1. stock up, they almost became illegal in the US about 5 years ago. I think they are illegal in Canada. Walmart carries the halogen that looks the same but it will say something like 100 watt equivalent that is actually like 72 watts.

I use LEDs for all lighting except for my animals that need UVB or heat, and those nitches are getting harder to fill.

BTW, I support local owned pet shops most of the time but I don't buy those bulbs. some things are actually cheaper (or very close to the same price) than online.

Yeah, I usually get my bulbs and supplies when I go to the expo they have every few months instead of getting them from petco/smart/whatever else is out there for pet stores, but that's not for another month.

I've been looking into the linear-type bulbs & housings for the new set up since it's bigger, but I got a little bit before I need to bite any bullets.

The one left in there now is a 50W basking, the one that went out was a 60W lol, the only picture I could find said 75w though.

Oh okay I see. That could be on the low side but you’ll just have to check the temp when you get the chance. I usually use one 60watt bulb in the summer and in the winter I use a 100watt. I live in California so it never gets really cold.

Back
Top Bottom