light help

manbearpig

hello, first timer poster so go easy on me :)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon. Just bought it yesterday
* Handling - Never yet. Probably only when I clean the cage
* Feeding - As of right now only crickets. (Will get more of a variety. About 8-10 a day? Gutloading with carrots, fruits, and that cricket water stuff?
* Supplements - Repcal with d3, recal calcium without d3, and recal multivit? I will do the calcium and multivitamin twice a month. calcium without d3 every other feeding
* Watering - I use a dripper cup with nozzle? I mist for a couple of minutes 2-3 times a do? I see my chameleon drinking
* Fecal Description - He hasn't took a dump yet. Not tested yet?
* History -

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 and a 40 watt bulb
* Temperature - I use a digital thermometer with probe. The basking spot is around 85.
* Humidity - 50-60.
* Plants - Live plants. Ginger and a hibiscus
* Placement - Located in my room. The bottom of the cage is about three feet off the ground
* Location - Hawaii

163105_1786320216568_1196427974_2083588_1224554_n.jpg

Current Problem - I included a picture. I have a basking spot for my chameleon, but he loves to hang out and climb on top of the cage. I put my basking light on top of the cage and i'm afraid that if he climbs under it he will get burned. I was going to raise the lamp a bit higher, but that would throw off my basking spot temps. Any suggestions?
Judging by the picture can anybody give me a estimate to how old this guy is? From the tip of his nose to the beginning of tale he is about 2 1/2 inches.

hello, first timer poster so go easy on me :)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon. Just bought it yesterday
* Handling - Never yet. Probably only when I clean the cage
* Feeding - As of right now only crickets. (Will get more of a variety. About 8-10 a day? Gutloading with carrots, fruits, and that cricket water stuff?
* Supplements - Repcal with d3, recal calcium without d3, and recal multivit? I will do the calcium and multivitamin twice a month. calcium without d3 every other feeding
* Watering - I use a dripper cup with nozzle? I mist for a couple of minutes 2-3 times a do? I see my chameleon drinking
* Fecal Description - He hasn't took a dump yet. Not tested yet?
* History -

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 and a 40 watt bulb
* Temperature - I use a digital thermometer with probe. The basking spot is around 85.
* Humidity - 50-60.
* Plants - Live plants. Ginger and a hibiscus
* Placement - Located in my room. The bottom of the cage is about three feet off the ground
* Location - Hawaii

163105_1786320216568_1196427974_2083588_1224554_n.jpg

Current Problem - I included a picture. I have a basking spot for my chameleon, but he loves to hang out and climb on top of the cage. I put my basking light on top of the cage and i'm afraid that if he climbs under it he will get burned. I was going to raise the lamp a bit higher, but that would throw off my basking spot temps. Any suggestions?
Judging by the picture can anybody give me a estimate to how old this guy is? From the tip of his nose to the beginning of tale he is about 2 1/2 inches.

I'm no expert so hopefully some others will chime in but imo raise the lamp so if he does climb beneath he won't get burned, maybe also raise his "basking" spot so it's ideal temps. But ultimately I think he's going to pick his basking spot so make it so he can't get burned.

I would raise his basking lamp fixture. It prob wont affect the basking temps by more than a degree or so. If it does just raise the branch an inch or two in the cage. It should remain the same temp if you do that. I kept my jacksons basking temps between 80-82 degrees. So I think you could raise the light and it wouldnt have a neg affect. ;)

He looks to be a sub adult to me. Maybe 8-9 months of age.

Oh yeah and I'd check with forum member xanthoman for a good supplement schedule. He's the jacksons expert on here. I know that you really have to watch over supplementing these guys/girls. And i think your current schedule might be too much for him.

Welcome to the forums!

Chameleons need to be warm in order to digest their food properly. They also will self-regulate the amount of UVB they're getting. It doesn't look like you have much for him to perch on at the top of the cage so he is probably trying to get warmer but can't do it from the perches you have beneath the light so he's crawling on the screen to be closer. Your temps sound okay but they need to be able to regulate themselves, sometimes they like to be warmer for a period of time. I would add more perches/vines/sticks under the light so he has options to be closer or further as he needs. Or if you do have a branch for him but no surrounding foliage he may feel too exposed to sit on it. Try adding some fake plants around the top perimeter to make him feel more protected. I did that for mine and noticed him acting more comfortable.

Hope that helps, he's a good looking little guy! Can't tell his age though...

Back
Top Bottom