Light green/yellow speckles

Dilb3rt

Hi everyone, here's the deal..

About a month ago i had built a 4x2x2 cage out of wood and hardware cloth. i Sealed the wood, let it dry and set for a week before i got my cham.I have poly on the back of the cage and bottom for drainage. I have a 75 watt bulb in a reflector dome for heat. I know this is a bit much but her basking spot is placed lower so she doesn't burn, and the temp stays at around 80-85 degrees. For UVB i have a 24" zoo med fixture with a t5 H.O bulb. Humidity is not constantly at the right % but after i mist it stays at a good % for atleast a few hours. I have a marble pothos aswell as a umbrella plant ( schefflera). I know it's reccomended that you repot the plants with new soil and a specific kind. Unfortunately, The plants were all root bounded and the dirt that was in there was all caught in the roots. Taking the dirt out would most likely have been devastating to the plant as i would have had to take out roots too. I have artificial vines for her to climb on aswell.

THE PROBLEM: During the past few days i had noticed her developing more and more of these yellow and light green speckles mainly on her body and a few on her head. She's been rather sluggish and stationary, i also noticed her rubbing her eyes on the vines in a weird slow, almost painful way.. I don't think it's her shedding although i hope that's what it is...

Sorry for the long story but i figured i would be getting questions as to what i have for an encolsure etc.. I thank anyone in advance who has some advice or ideas on whats causing me and my chameleon stress !

Hi everyone, here's the deal..

About a month ago i had built a 4x2x2 cage out of wood and hardware cloth. i Sealed the wood, let it dry and set for a week before i got my cham.I have poly on the back of the cage and bottom for drainage. I have a 75 watt bulb in a reflector dome for heat. I know this is a bit much but her basking spot is placed lower so she doesn't burn, and the temp stays at around 80-85 degrees. For UVB i have a 24" zoo med fixture with a t5 H.O bulb. Humidity is not constantly at the right % but after i mist it stays at a good % for atleast a few hours. I have a marble pothos aswell as a umbrella plant ( schefflera). I know it's reccomended that you repot the plants with new soil and a specific kind. Unfortunately, The plants were all root bounded and the dirt that was in there was all caught in the roots. Taking the dirt out would most likely have been devastating to the plant as i would have had to take out roots too. I have artificial vines for her to climb on aswell.

THE PROBLEM: During the past few days i had noticed her developing more and more of these yellow and light green speckles mainly on her body and a few on her head. She's been rather sluggish and stationary, i also noticed her rubbing her eyes on the vines in a weird slow, almost painful way.. I don't think it's her shedding although i hope that's what it is...

Sorry for the long story but i figured i would be getting questions as to what i have for an encolsure etc.. I thank anyone in advance who has some advice or ideas on whats causing me and my chameleon stress !

How old is she? Possible she's gravid.

Eye rubbing like this can be a sign of dehydration. If the cage air is dry much of the time (it may be drier than you realize for more of the time) it will irritate her eyes. When she drinks is she drooling? Often a sign of thirst.

I have pictures but I haven't had the time to upload them.. I will post pics as soon as possible.. Shes about 3-4 months old so she is still young.

IMAG1503.jpg IMAG1502.jpg

She seems to be getting progressivly worse over days.. Things are not looking good, its always been hard to get her to eat because of how skiddish she was, and the size of the cage. ( crickets and worms can get out/hard for her to find them ). Whenever i open the cage she goes and hides... Not sure what to do.. her eyes seem to be getting more sunken into her head. a sign of dehydration i know.

Being "gravid" means that she has infertile eggs (very common with reptiles). Generally female chameleons can be gravid as early as 6 months. You will need to look into setting up a "laying bin" for her or else she might retain the eggs which would cause her to become "egg bound" and eventually die. She looks very thin from the photos, so she might not be egg bound yet, however I would definitely look into researching more about setting up laying bins for female chameleons. It is very crucial to her health.

Side note, her back leg looks very strange in that photo, does she have a case of MBD (metabolic bone disease)? MBD is caused from improper supplementation.

Back
Top Bottom