Life expectancy survey

Hello Everyone!

I have been told, and read, that, on average, the life expectancy of the chameleon is about 5 years, but im curious to know how long chameleons are actually living and if they are living considerably longer with proper care and happy lives, especially panther chameleons.

I would love to hear your replies with your experiences! What is the oldest age that a chameleon has reached in your care? And, what type of chameleon?

Most of my veiled females lived to be over 6 and some over 7...males even longer.

Others I can't tell you off hand.my records are packed away right now.

I kept chameleons and many other lizards (to name ages...water dragons, bear dies, geckos, cone heads, helmeted iguanas, cordylus lizards, etc, etc.) turtles/tortoises for over 30 years.
I couldn't begin to tell you all the chameleon species...but just to name some...Panthers and veileds of course, dwarf jacksons, Comoro island chameleons, Mediterranean chameleons, quads, Parson's, oustalets , fischers...and quite a few more.
Most were wild caught because that's all that was available when I started...and there was no information on keeping any of them...no internet

I kept chameleons and many other lizards (to name ages...water dragons, bear dies, geckos, cone heads, helmeted iguanas, cordylus lizards, etc, etc.) turtles/tortoises for over 30 years.
I couldn't begin to tell you all the chameleon species...but just to name some...Panthers and veileds of course, dwarf jacksons, Comoro island chameleons, Mediterranean chameleons, quads, Parson's, oustalets , fischers...and quite a few more.
Most were wild caught because that's all that was available when I started...and there was no information on keeping any of them...no internet
😍😛🤗Wow kinyonga! Thank you for paving the way for the rest of us!

Simba has rekindled my passion for ecology, biology and veterinary science all over again. I find them to be such a complex and beautiful animal, I would love the opportunity to study and interact with them in the wild as you did. Some truly amazing experiences I'm sure!

When catching them in the wild, we're you finding eggs, or catching juveniles? How did you know which ones were "the one"? 😏

I never reacted with them in the wild...the chameleons I had were mostly caught in the wild as opposed to born in captivity.
Nobody was breeding them back then.

The range I have seen mostly when seen in optimal conditions is between 4-8 years for most chameleon species. There are a couple species from genus's (Calumma parsonii parsonii and other Calumma) I think could live past that mark. Rhinos my well posted male Calumma parsonii parsonii here on the Chameleon Forums was a couple months away from being 12 years old before he passed away.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom