Lets Talk Water.

How do you actually use the siphon? Does it just suck the water out of the drainage layer and then spit it back out at the top of the substrate?

You could slide a flexible hose or larger diameter air line over the pipe and hang the hose up, out and over the side then attach the other end of the hose to a fountain pump. If it's long enough to use gravity then the pump can just be used as a primer.

How do you actually use the siphon? Does it just suck the water out of the drainage layer and then spit it back out at the top of the substrate?

It's gravity action tubing, kind of like a giant, flexible straw. You suck on it (or use a self starting mechanism if available) to get fluid 2/3 of the way up the line, and then you bend it down to a lower point and let gravity to the rest.

Just like siphoning an aquarium with a gravel pump.

I'll ask my parents about it later, they will probably know more than I do. Thanks for the advice! Is there any other methods that yall use?

Or you could just get a terrarium with a pre-drilled hole in the glass!

dasgadas.jpg

I use a self starting siphon intended for siphoning gas, though it's very cheap and I end up sucking on it to get it started anyway (and often ending up runoff in my mouth, haha!).

Wow ... that takes guts! Given that I let chameleon poop just drop to the bottom of my bioactive enclosures there's no way I'd risk getting runoff in my mouth ...

How does this work? We can’t find a way for it to work is it a drain or siphon?
+1 for not sucking in poop water. I use the following to siphon out the water. You just squeeze the pump to suck the water out and I have it draining into a bucket to dump out after I'm done draining it. As I said before, I only just now had to use it once after being up and running for almost 4 months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VK55ZB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or you could just get a terrarium with a pre-drilled hole in the glass!

View attachment 253383

Wow ... that takes guts! Given that I let chameleon poop just drop to the bottom of my bioactive enclosures there's no way I'd risk getting runoff in my mouth ...

A pre drilled hole would be fabulous! I wish more glass brands came with that.

As for "poop water"... I reckon I've had worse things in my mouth! :p There are microorganisms everywhere, and over 90% of them are beneficial. I'm not worried about some trace fecal matter.

A pre drilled hole would be fabulous! I wish more glass brands came with that.

As for "poop water"... I reckon I've had worse things in my mouth! :p There are microorganisms everywhere, and over 90% of them are beneficial. I'm not worried about some trace fecal matter.

More Ovaltine Please!!! :) haha

I agree, I wish my enclosure already had a bulkhead hole pre-drilled in it. I even thought about having it done, but I was in a time crunch to get my enclosure completed for my waiting chameleon. My next custom setup will have one in it.

Getting back on topic, the OP confirmed that it is an all screen cage so I assume the base would not be made of glass. If the cage will be placed on a stand that can also be drilled with some space underneath, I would just drill a hole in the bottom of the base and allow excess water to flow into a bucket under the stand. Another option, as I did with an acrylic enclosure in the photo below, is to drill a hole in the front of the enclosure near the bottom and install a bulkhead with valve. When water collects in the base of the enclosure I attach a hose and open the valve to drain it.

101813818.jpg

I used the PVC method for both of my builds - screen and glass. I only took pictures of how I set it up with my glass, so those are the pictures I used. (y)

Bioactive in a ReptiBreeze, on top a planter box. It's a quick snap in a dim room, so terrible quality haha!

20191210_183329.jpg

I used the PVC method for both of my builds - screen and glass. I only took pictures of how I set it up with my glass, so those are the pictures I used. (y)

Bioactive in a ReptiBreeze, on top a planter box. It's a quick snap in a dim room, so terrible quality haha!

View attachment 253433

Hey I remember that, you showed me that one when I was struggling to find a proper square pot for my reptibreeze.

View attachment 253433

Gosh, this background is beautiful as well. You definitely have a talent for vivarium design.

Back
Top Bottom