Lets talk basking lights please

SolidSnake1

Ive read a lot today as I just joined today, I am in no way new too Reptile care but I am new to Charms which I do NOT have yet, I am still working on his setup, I want it right before I put my pet in it.

Here's my enclosure;

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-prospective-enclosure-131287/

I've seen some inconsistency with basking methods which being an owner of a reptile forum myself I know its normal to have inconsistencies (difference in opinions) but, I really want to have this perfect before I put an animal in his enclosure.

Is the preferred method for basking a Basking Bulb or a regular Household Bulb?

I see Halogen bulbs mentioned frequently here. So far, halogen have been the 1) longest lasting 2) warmest 3) most reliable bulbs vs house bulbs or vs store bought "reptile" bulbs that burn out within a week.

I would get around a 50-60 watt halogen for an adult, but use a low watt incandescent bulb for a baby.

UVb bulbs, we usually favor reptisun 5.0 or 10.0, and usually people use the TUBE long bulbs. They last 6-7 months for me.

No night lights needed and they are definitely frowned upon :)

Hope that helped. There is also a lighting thread stickied somewhere, if someone could link that.

I use regular household bulbs. I vary the between the wattages due to the season to regulate temps. I am currently using 45 watts. In the winter I use up to 100 watt bulbs. I also have a grow bulb for my plants and a UVB tube light.

I see Halogen bulbs mentioned frequently here. So far, halogen have been the 1) longest lasting 2) warmest 3) most reliable bulbs vs house bulbs or vs store bought "reptile" bulbs that burn out within a week.

I would get around a 50-60 watt halogen for an adult, but use a low watt incandescent bulb for a baby.

UVb bulbs, we usually favor reptisun 5.0 or 10.0, and usually people use the TUBE long bulbs. They last 6-7 months for me.

No night lights needed and they are definitely frowned upon :)

Hope that helped. There is also a lighting thread stickied somewhere, if someone could link that.

I was too lazy to look for a lighting thread....sorry but im honest LOL

Huge help, thanks

I use regular household bulbs. I vary the between the wattages due to the season to regulate temps. I am currently using 45 watts. In the winter I use up to 100 watt bulbs. I also have a grow bulb for my plants and a UVB tube light.

A grow bulb and UVB? Just curious, why both, a UVB will do the same right?

Thanks tons, great help

All of my plants are natural. I was having issues with the plants with just the UVB bulb. I added a florescent grow light from Lowe's and my plants do great.

Ok, was just curious because all my plants in my other pets vivs are all real and I only use the UVB and they do good....just curious.
Thanks

Hibiscus and umbrella plants are the ones I have found need the added TLC. Either way your cham will be happy in that awesome cage you have!

SolidSnake1 are you a member to another animal-related forum? I swear I've seen that exact username and profile picture around somewhere.
I use regular house hold bulbs, but I have also used halogen, reptile bulbs, mercury vapour and metal halide. I currently have metal halide (which does both heat and UVB) over one of my male panthers and another over my male veiled. They both seem to be doing great. The beam is pretty tight though so if I don't put additional lights then the enclosure remains quite dark (heavily planted). Mercury Vapour was only used for a brief while because I had a shortage so I was just using my bearded dragon's baby one. I had to keep it over 12" away for the temperature to be okay, so not sure how the UVB penetration was at that distance. That being said, I've always been a fan of MVB since I've had a couple of beardies now and they seem to flourish under them.
Halogens get HOT, so start with a low wattage and work your way up.

I'd also be careful how the heat lamp is positioned on the top of the critter nation. Those steel rod bars get quite hot since the surface area is thicker.

SolidSnake1 are you a member to another animal-related forum? I swear I've seen that exact username and profile picture around somewhere.
There is another with the same or similar avatar. They don't post a lot if I am not mistaken, however post great advice. They post a decent amount for a short period and then disappear again. But yes, I am aware of him. If it is who I think, I asked him if they were the GWAR loving Jacksons youtube video maker. FYI he wasn't.

Could be, Ive only been around the Reptile Community about 4 years but I am on many Snake Forums, Frog Forums, BD Forums to include my own Reptile Forum, Im also a Gamer with my own gaming forum but I love the Metal Gear Solid Game Series.

Thanks for your input and advice on this huge help !

Back
Top Bottom