Lets talk about lighting

emilhayek

Established Member
So i just ordered my xl reptibreeze cage and my stand for it but that got me wondering how big should my uvb fixture be? I’m assuming 24 inch since the cage is 24 x 24 x 48. I also have a couple questions if anyone can answer :)

1. for the basking bulb, what do you guys recommend? wattage, better brands and a good fixture for it
2. i like to keep the fan and ac on in my room so it gets rather cold in there, should i add a ceramic heat plate or heat bulb for nights
when the basking bulb isn’t on?

I’m planning to house a 2-3 month old panther in there as soon as everything is ready. i have his multivitamins, calcium w d3 and just waiting on calc w/o d3 ordered from amazon). Branches and plants coming after everything gets here. Am i missing anything else?

The T5HO fixtures should span the length or width of the cage, depending on how you want it placed. A 24" fixture will work well for the cage you have ordered.
Many of us just go with a BR30 Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Incandescent not LED. Putting one of these in the usual dome fixture works well.
I wouldn't recommend the ceramic heat plate and heat bulb at night unless your room gets down below 60 degrees.
The MORE live plants the BETTER.

The T5HO fixtures should span the length or width of the cage, depending on how you want it placed. A 24" fixture will work well for the cage you have ordered.
Many of us just go with a BR30 Indoor Flood Light Bulb, Incandescent not LED. Putting one of these in the usual dome fixture works well.
I wouldn't recommend the ceramic heat plate and heat bulb at night unless your room gets down below 60 degrees.
The MORE live plants the BETTER.
Gotcha! is the BR30 bulb for basking during the day time?

All i found was a 65 watt, should that be enough? And what size dome for it?
65 watt is what i use and that is fine. You can use distances from the cage to help control the temperature at basking, just make sure it's not close enough to burn your Cham if he climbs on the screen. They do fit into a standard dome fixture but if you can get the larger one if you'd like to.

65 watt is what i use and that is fine. You can use distances from the cage to help control the temperature at basking, just make sure it's not close enough to burn your Cham if he climbs on the screen. They do fit into a standard dome fixture but if you can get the larger one if you'd like to.
I was thinking of leaving it on the top screen of the cage, it won’t burn the mesh or burn my cham?

I was thinking of leaving it on the top screen of the cage, it won’t burn the mesh or burn my cham?
The key to a basking bulb is just getting the wattage that gets the temps where you need them. It will depend on your ambient temperature and the placement of your fixture. If you can raise it off the screen, that would eliminate the risk of your cham getting burned.

The key to a basking bulb is just getting the wattage that gets the temps where you need them. It will depend on your ambient temperature and the placement of your fixture. If you can raise it off the screen, that would eliminate the risk of your cham getting burned.
I agree, but my basis for my previous statement was along the lines as to if 65 watts would create temperatures that are too high, the lamp can be raised to reach an adequate temperature while also limiting the chances of the lamp burning the cham.

Mount it at an angle so the hot spot is an ellipse instead of a circle. That will help with "hot spots". No one knows but you if 65 watts is right. Some need to run 150 watts far away to get the air temp at basking in the 90's. I only needed a 35 watt halogen. Of my lizards is very long, so im currently running 4 35 watts about 6" apart, vs trying to use 1 150 watt.

I agree, but my basis for my previous statement was along the lines as to if 65 watts would create temperatures that are too high, the lamp can be raised to reach an adequate temperature while also limiting the chances of the lamp burning the cham.
Gotcha, I’ll have to test it out before i get my cham, i think i have a 5.5 inch dome at home im not using so I’ll definitely try that and see what the temperature on the basking branch is. I’ll definitely pick up that 65 watt bulb we were talking about earlier. My house stays normally at 72 or 71.

Gotcha, I’ll have to test it out before i get my cham, i think i have a 5.5 inch dome at home im not using so I’ll definitely try that and see what the temperature on the basking branch is. I’ll definitely pick up that 65 watt bulb we were talking about earlier. My house stays normally at 72 or 71.
Your average temperatures will not require you to provide heat at night. The 5.5" dome will fit the bulb fine, as I said before just do your best to hang it above the cage and not have it directly on the screen.

Your average temperatures will not require you to provide heat at night. The 5.5" dome will fit the bulb fine, as I said before just do your best to hang it above the cage and not have it directly on the screen.
Also, would you recommend me getting the 5.0 HO or the 10 HO for the UVB

You may want to splurge on the quad t5 fixture it'll keep your plants and chameleon happy and the enclosure well lit.

For heat / bask as mentioned above the flood style br30 is a good starting point you may need to raise your lamps off the screen top to get the temps right and prevent any chance of burns from ceiling climbing.

I'd highly recommend setting up the enclosure before you get the Chameleon get the lights and branches all set test your temp and humidity and then introduce your new Chameleon.

For uvb / daylight
75 $ and has timers you'll need to buy the right light bulbs tho. ... I bought a dual to get started and ended up swapping shortly after

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Timer-Aquarium-Marine-Cichlid/dp/B016VAZ31S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=quad+t5+fixtures&qid=1588897226&sprefix=quad+t5+&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

You may want to splurge on the quad t5 fixture it'll keep your plants and chameleon happy and the enclosure well lit.

For heat / bask as mentioned above the flood style br30 is a good starting point you may need to raise your lamps off the screen top to get the temps right and prevent any chance of burns from ceiling climbing.

I'd highly recommend setting up the enclosure before you get the Chameleon get the lights and branches all set test your temp and humidity and then introduce your new Chameleon.

For uvb / daylight
75 $ and has timers you'll need to buy the right light bulbs tho. ... I bought a dual to get started and ended up swapping shortly after

https://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Timer-Aquarium-Marine-Cichlid/dp/B016VAZ31S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=quad+t5+fixtures&qid=1588897226&sprefix=quad+t5+&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
Oh definitely, I’m going to set it up before. I saw that light your reptile has a Arcadia bulb and fixture deal going on right now so i might do that. My cage is directly in front of my window so not worried about light for the plants since sunlight will hit

Back
Top Bottom