Lethargic & poor grip

ViolentJ

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 100 gallon Exo Terra Flexarium
* Lighting - ZooMen Reptisun 10, I'm told it's 9 months old given to me by previous owner.
* Temperature - 85F basking. 75F Bottom
* Humidity - 60% digital readout.
* Plants - Monstera & Dracena (not noticed any leaves eaten)
* Location - low traffic in front of a window, top of the enclosure is about 12" from the ceiling.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Yemen, Male, 20 Months old. We've had him since 24th January 2009
* Handling - Only a few times since getting him
* Feeding - Locusts, he's had approx 10 since we bought him. They've been fed romain lettuce and gutload pro formula
* Supplements - Previous owner gave us Nutrobal. I've very lightly misted 2 locusts so far.
* Watering - Dripper (12 hours a day) and misted from a bottle daily. I have seen him drinking. (previous owner told me he misted once every other day)
* Fecal Description - brown/black with a yellow part
* History - None that I know if.
* Current Problem - This morning he seemed to misjudge the strength of some leaves and slipped at which point he hissed and thrashed from side to side. We helped him back up. Since then he's hissed and thrashed around twice more and has now fallen to the bottom of his enclosure. We've taken him out just now and he's extremely lethargic with a weakening grip. He's now closed his eyes as well. His colouring is a very light green & yellow with some black colouring on his head.

Looking at him by the time I get a reply it might be too late :(

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 100 gallon Exo Terra Flexarium
* Lighting - ZooMen Reptisun 10, I'm told it's 9 months old given to me by previous owner.
* Temperature - 85F basking. 75F Bottom
* Humidity - 60% digital readout.
* Plants - Monstera & Dracena (not noticed any leaves eaten)
* Location - low traffic in front of a window, top of the enclosure is about 12" from the ceiling.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Yemen, Male, 20 Months old. We've had him since 24th January 2009
* Handling - Only a few times since getting him
* Feeding - Locusts, he's had approx 10 since we bought him. They've been fed romain lettuce and gutload pro formula
* Supplements - Previous owner gave us Nutrobal. I've very lightly misted 2 locusts so far.
* Watering - Dripper (12 hours a day) and misting from a bottle daily. I have seen him drinking. (previous owner told me he misted once every other day)
* Fecal Description - brown/black with a yellow part
* History - None that I know if.
* Current Problem - This morning he seemed to misjudge the strength of some leaves and slipped at which point he hissed and thrashed from side to side. We helped him back up. Since then he's hissed and thrashed around twice more and has now fallen to the bottom of his enclosure. We've taken him out just now and he's extremely lethargic with a weakening grip. He's now closed his eyes as well.

Looking at him by the time I get a reply it might be too late :(

Seems like he is dehydrated get him some water white part should be white not yellow or orange. As far as the lazy problem not sure wait until a expert can answer.

Right now he's laying on my partners hand flat out with eyes closed and mouth slightly ajar. I've tried spraying him with water but he's not drinking right now. He drank for a long time last night when I sprayed him.

Right now he's laying on my partners hand flat out with eyes closed and mouth slightly ajar. I've tried spraying him with water but he's not drinking right now. He drank for a long time last night when I sprayed him.

Best if you post pictures also.

Best if you post pictures also.

DSCF00013800x600.jpg

DSCF00023800x600.jpg

If there is no way to get him to a vet tonight...

I would try to get some water into him. Do you have a syringe? (no needle) you can put it in his mouth that way. Or a dripper.

I would keep him warm as well but given that he probably doesn't have it in him to move into the correct temperature range you'll have to monitor the temp pretty closely.

Has he been eating? maybe he needs a food boost. Some baby food if you have some (or apple sauce or other mushy type food) put into his mouth might be helpful. Or leafy greens.

Just some suggestions.

ALso ... when was the lsat time he pooped? If he is impacted a warm soak might be helpful.

From my experiences, when hermie closes his eyes like that, he's in pain. Finding out why will require a veterinarian (most likely) but your goal right now would be to support him until you can get him to one.

Didnt you say that your reptisun 10 is 9 months old? dont tubes last for 6 months...? If so, maybe its not putting out anymore uvb even though there light.....im not sure about the tubes i dont use them

Didnt you say that your reptisun 10 is 9 months old? dont tubes last for 6 months...? If so, maybe its not putting out anymore uvb even though there light.....im not sure about the tubes i dont use them

What kind of tubes do you use?

Lol i use mvb mega ray 100 low watt made for reptiles that dont require as much uvb output as others....so im assuming that the tubes last longer...... :)

In the time it took to find our yelloepages last night to look for a vet he'd already passed away. We're both devistated :(

To answer a few questions:
He was pooping regulalry and only that morning I'd cleaned up a fresh one.
I'm told the Reptisun's last 12 months, I know some of you replace sooner and I had ordered a new one, it just hadn't arrived yet.

Does anyone have any idea what he might have died from? Bearing in mind we've only had him since the 24th Jan this year and he seemed in good health the day before. He ate, drank, pooped, basked and had no problems with his grip Monday morning.

Sorry for your loss. Even though you didn't have him long its not easy losing a chameleon.

An autopsy could tell you why he died.

Don't know if this could have had anything to do with it....but if the insects or the chameleon ate any of the Monstera plant it might be possible....sap can cause irritation to the skin and all parts but the ripe fruit are poisonous....did he lick the leaves of the plant?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstera_deliciosa

Yes we only bought him on the 24th. As for the monstera I can't see cant bite marks in it. It's a young plant and has no fruit.

Back
Top Bottom