Lethargic cham not eating much - closing eyes most of day

ChumCharlie

Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, (Not sure - 2-3 months?), Have had in my care for about a month
Handling - Currently very rarely - once a week max.
Feeding - Moving from fruit flies to now eating pinheads. I gut feed the pinheads with Kale/Apple/Papaya/Carrots and other superfoods. I put as many crickets in to a feeding cup to allow him to eat as much as he wants.
Supplements - Reptivite with D3 2x a month. ReptiCalcium on every feeding.
Watering - MistKing mister and a dripper - I've seen him hydrate more than I've seen him eat. Hydration seems to be fine.
Fecal Description - Very small feces, urate appears white.
History - Since I've had him he's seemed to close one eye a bit more than the other. He's recently been closing both throughout a very large portion of the day.

Cage Info:
Cage Type
- Picture below
Lighting - 5.0 Reptisun UVB, 75W Fluker's basking bulb
Temperature - Thermometers measure basking temp ~85, the rest of the cage sitting around 70. 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Night-time temps get to ~60-65.
Humidity - Thermometer measures humidity levels ~75-80, kept up by a Mistking system that mysts 5 times daily.
Plants - One live chameleon-safe plant. I forget the name but I looked it up as a recommended breed.
Placement - In an office, little foot traffic but I often work from the room and have a mild presence. Sits 4 feet off the floor and is 36 inches tall.
Location - WA state

Current Problem - He's very lethargic. He is often sitting up top near his basking spot with his eyes closed for hours daily.
He seems to only eat 1-4 crickets every day even though he has many at his disposal. Doesn't seem to show interest in horn worms/super worms. Eats the occasional fruit fly. I'm afraid he isn't eating enough and still seems very small and skinny.

Attachments

• DSC02239.JPG
    DSC02239.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02241.JPG
    DSC02241.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02243.JPG
    DSC02243.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 120
He's been doing it for a while today - usually he will stand like that for a couple minutes after drinking or eating something, but no, for the most part he lays close to the branch like the first photo. He never sits with his mouth open.

When someone posts I look at the chameleon and it's setup and the care they are giving it (as given in the answers to the questions we ask people to answer). If I can't see anything there that could be causing the problem that's an easy fix then I have no alternative but to suggest a vet.
I'm not a vet and don't have all the answers. I just do the best I can from my own experience and what I've learned from others.

Being that it's so young, it could be just a failure to thrive. Some just aren't strong and oerfect. It's why we don't like seeing them sold so young. After 3 months of age the possibility of this failure to thrive declines rapidly.

Whatever is going on with it, I have no answer for...it's not obvious to me...so it leaves me with recommending a vet visit. I wish I could do more.

I appreciate the response. It's at least good to know that I don't have any glaring issues with his cage setup in general, that was my biggest concern.

I wish I had not bought such a young one, and had I realized this I would have chosen differently, but now that he's mine I want to try my best to keep him.

I would feel the same...once it's mine I'd have to look after it the best I could too. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

hello! Am having the same problems with my young male veiled chameleon. i have had for one month and on the day that marked the month he shed for the first time and his eyes have been closed for almost a week now. did you figure anything out?
Thanks.

hello! Am having the same problems with my young male veiled chameleon. i have had for one month and on the day that marked the month he shed for the first time and his eyes have been closed for almost a week now. did you figure anything out?
Thanks.

Please start a new thread and fill out the questionnaire as OP did. People may be able to help you better if they know all your setup and routine info. The causes could be completely unrelated.

Please start a new thread and fill out the questionnaire as OP did. People may be able to help you better if they know all your setup and routine info. The causes could be completely unrelated.
i am unsure of how to start a new thread can you help me out with that?
Thanks.

Go here, click post thread top right.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/health-clinic.7/

then copy and paste this, and fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Go here, click post thread top right.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/forums/health-clinic.7/

then copy and paste this, and fill it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
thanks i appreciate it i filled out the form and posted it

Back
Top Bottom