Let me know your thoughts

RikkiL

Established Member
I might be able to purchase a display case, I think will make a great forever enclosure. I see lots of potential in this idea. What's your thoughts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-223211_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-223211_Chrome.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
First thought is that you are going to have a mold issue and with mold there is always unwanted batceria that may cause sickness.
With out proper ventilation yes mold will happen, my current enclosure is pvc pannel on three sides with a plexiglass glass door. I have good air flow and we leave the door open multiply times a day. I would think we would do that still with this type of enclosure.

With out proper ventilation yes mold will happen, my current enclosure is pvc pannel on three sides with a plexiglass glass door. I have good air flow and we leave the door open multiply times a day. I would think we would do that still with this type of enclosure.
Well the size is great but cases like that are made of press board which fall apart quick when exposed to water. But if you can figure that out then cut out part of the top and screen for lights it would be good.

Well the size is great but cases like that are made of press board which fall apart quick when exposed to water. But if you can figure that out then cut out part of the top and screen for lights it would be good.
We picked it up !!!! Yes much of it is or was press board that is 100 % damaged so for $20 for case and some new pvc siding to do a rehaul. I say I'm going for it!!!! Wish me luck

LUCK! 🤞

Just be aware (if you're not), putting PVC over press board/fiber board/whatever... may still trap moisture between, which can still rot the original material and promote nasties.

As long as the base material is dry and not 'funky' already, something like flex seal may help seal it.

Others may have other suggestions.

LUCK! 🤞

Just be aware (if you're not), putting PVC over press board/fiber board/whatever... may still trap moisture between, which can still rot the original material and promote nasties.

As long as the base material is dry and not 'funky' already, something like flex seal may help seal it.

Others may have other suggestions.
Thank you. I did not think about flex seal, thinking about using spray foam and dry lock to seal it

Okay we have plans to do a naturalistic background to water proof the enclosure. My question is on the front in both corners is vertical lighting fixtures. Would I be able to utilize these lights for the plants? I would still have uvb on the top. Along with basking light

Okay we have plans to do a naturalistic background to water proof the enclosure. My question is on the front in both corners is vertical lighting fixtures. Would I be able to utilize these lights for the plants? I would still have uvb on the top. Along with basking light
Personally I wouldn't. Plants always lean toward the brightest light, so there's a possibility they could lean or grow sideways rather than growing upward. I'd also be concerned whether they're getting enough light, and the right temperature (color) light.
https://www.dossierblog.com/8-signs-your-houseplants-need-more-light-what-to-do/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Which+direction+do+plants+grow?

Update: I'm so excited, and very proud of my self. I do think I missed a step, I did not seal it first. But I think it looks really good except for a few areas I could have carved more. Here are some photos.
The big round circles are so I can add sticks and branches, I wanted to have enough foam to hold weight, as I did not want to place the sticks first. I'm hoping they will be hard to see for the most part after all the plants and sticks are in.

Attachments

• 20211219_171956.jpg
    20211219_171956.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211219_172005.jpg
    20211219_172005.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211219_172009.jpg
    20211219_172009.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211219_172014.jpg
    20211219_172014.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211219_172018.jpg
    20211219_172018.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211211_122620.jpg
    20211211_122620.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 39
What foam spray are you using looks amazing! When my cham grew uo he could no longer climb on screen as his nails grew too so i got welding mess which he loves to climb and sleep on it like 1x1 i actually sewed it to the screen and now can attach anything i want with zip ties. I love what you r doing. I have a plant light and the swiss cheese plant loves it and is doing well. Also the larger leaves gives my cham hiding spots. The yellow jade not so much. Thought it would be good cause its sturdy enough to climb in but after a while all the leaves dropped even with the Plant light. plant lights are small but heavy and need to be hung properly due to the condensed weight. i keep it a few inches above the screen and am now sharing it with my small cage which i am using to hatch hawk moths and kerp the tomato plant alive. The pic attached is of the swiss cheese plant the screen in the background is the weld i was talking about and i cover soil with screen not rocks. I know how strong a chams tongue is and would hate to have a rock down the gullet while going for a feeder. It has many advantages. i was lucky enough to find a rubber tree that had been neglected so i had my pick of dead branches to build perches and a jungle gym. I got wood fill and filled any holes in the wood bevause feeders were trying to burrow in. That worked like a charm. Keep us all posted with your progress. Hey hiw can you go wrong with $20. Good find.

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_201541_burst_04.jpg
    IMG_20211201_201541_burst_04.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 38
I used great stuff and carved it a bunch. I plan on painting the background one side will be rocks the other will be rainforest like. I am going to seal it with drylock and flex seal. I will add paint colors to the dry lock after I do a few coats plan white. We are adding drains to the bottom I think they are 2in drains not sure each will connect by pvc and go into a tube. I have two muffin fans for air flow. I'm not sure what else yet

Back
Top Bottom