Leopard gecko substrate

Do you mean like excavator’s clay? If so, yes I think so. I use a mix of organic soil, coco coir and play sand with a small bit of sphagnum moss. I have several succulents, cork bark, various dried botanicals and made ‘rock’ hides from Great Stuff foam covered with grout, acrylic paint and water based sealant. Also have giant canyons isopods and springtails. Here’s what my tanks look like.
E3C380FE-23DF-4C54-9E3F-C53421762430.jpeg 2877B36B-A5C8-4A9C-88A1-09BA4DFEE2CB.jpeg 2C066C47-6634-47A6-A92A-0AF1BEDB71EA.jpeg

Do you mean like excavator’s clay? If so, yes I think so. I use a mix of organic soil, coco coir and play sand with a small bit of sphagnum moss. I have several succulents, cork bark, various dried botanicals and made ‘rock’ hides from Great Stuff foam covered with grout, acrylic paint and water based sealant. Also have giant canyons isopods and springtails. Here’s what my tanks look like.
View attachment 296974View attachment 296975View attachment 296976

What's the pink tipped plant in the bottom picture, I kinda want one

What's the pink tipped plant in the bottom picture, I kinda want one
That is a fire stick cactus. That’s what it looked like when just planted in that tank. It wasn’t doing well so I removed it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but it never regained it’s color. I split it up and you can see it in the right hand corners of my other 2 tanks. Hoping better lighting will help it.

That is a fire stick cactus. That’s what it looked like when just planted in that tank. It wasn’t doing well so I removed it. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, but it never regained it’s color. I split it up and you can see it in the right hand corners of my other 2 tanks. Hoping better lighting will help it.

Ah they need to dry out completely between waterings, as in bone dry. As for the orange color, you will likely need a jungle dawn led or other very intense light to get the orange colors back.

Ah they need to dry out completely between waterings, as in bone dry. As for the orange color, you will likely need a jungle dawn led or other very intense light to get the orange colors back.
Yes, my tanks are kept quite dry. I have 6500 k sunblasters in there for the plants and they are all growing almost too well. The fire stick is growing very well...lots of new branches...but no color has returned. I haven’t fed it ever, so maybe it needs a bit of fertilizer. I haven’t really looked up the specific care for it. Guess I probably should.

View attachment 296974View attachment 296975View attachment 296976
Is it different than usual clay? I cant just go and buy regular clay? Sorry this is the first time I hear of a word excavator 😂

Is it different than usual clay? I cant just go and buy regular clay? Sorry this is the first time I hear of a word excavator 😂
I’m really not sure what kind of clay you are asking about. If you mean a clay soil, I’m not sure that would work well or not. It’s very dense and heavy and retains moisture. I’ve never used excavator’s clay so I’m not up on it’s properties. This may help a bit.

Back
Top Bottom