Length in labor of infertile eggs

Mrs.Rocky

I have a veiled female chameleon. I have noticed she’s pregnant. On Saturday she has been laying eggs ever since. I have been misting her enclosure to make her feel comfortable, and removing everyone from the house so she can safely deliver the empty eggs. But now I’m concerned because she is still releasing eggs, and I’ve noticed her more fatigue. When I enter to mist her enclosure she actually came towards my hand to drink off my hand. Is that normal? How can I help her to stay hydrated? When will she stop pushing eggs? Attached you’ll see a picture of her actually drinking off my hand.

Attachments

• C8AE2974-3069-4348-B1FB-FDD9FDE5A567.jpeg
    C8AE2974-3069-4348-B1FB-FDD9FDE5A567.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 145
Releasing the eggs where? All over the cage? In a proper lay bin?
In her cage. She started digging her soil. I didn’t want to add a bin because every time I’d open it she seemed more stressed. I removed any tree or decor from the bottom. And she started easily dropping her eggs. But she is still dropping eggs.

What do you mean every time you opened it...the bin?
She should have dug a hole in the laybin and laid the eggs in there. It's not good that she's just dropping them but that's better than not laying them at all. We need to get this fixed now.

You need a proper laying bin...an opaque container... MINIMUM size... about 12" long X 8" deep X 8" wide filled with washed playsand moist enough to hold a tunnel. I would at this point dig a tunnel/hole in it for her.

Here's how it should go....she should dig until she's happy with it.but since she's so far along she may just use the hole you make for her. She should sit in the hole butt down and lay the eggs.dont watch her while she's doing it. She should fill the hole in when she's laid and tamp it down and return to the branches when she's done....hungry and thirsty and thin.

This I was I got from your post: when you said that she got stressed when you opened it, is the bin separate from the cage? I’m getting mixed signals

Thank you soo much. I made her a tunnel, well I think that is good?!? And I misted her whole area. I tried lifting her to put her in the bin. She didn’t want to and hissed. I left her alone. But she did allow me to mist her area and mist her face and drank from there. I kept misting her when she opened her mouth for water. Then she stopped and seems very relaxed. And she barely delivered eggs? How would I know if she is egg bound, just Incase I can take her to a vet for help.

Attachments

• 74DA71D1-05D8-4475-93E1-ED0D8188BC84.jpeg
    74DA71D1-05D8-4475-93E1-ED0D8188BC84.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 34A11623-4B0F-4741-AF98-AC987DB60B92.jpeg
    34A11623-4B0F-4741-AF98-AC987DB60B92.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 8D855013-62E3-4470-81F3-F0B38002E616.jpeg
    8D855013-62E3-4470-81F3-F0B38002E616.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 111
You need a proper laying bin...an opaque container... MINIMUM size... about 12" long X 8" deep X 8" wide filled with washed playsand moist enough to hold a tunnel. I would at this point dig a tunnel/hole in it for her.

Here's how it should go....she should dig until she's happy with it.but since she's so far along she may just use the hole you make for her. She should sit in the hole butt down and lay the eggs.dont watch her while she's doing it. She should fill the hole in when she's laid and tamp it down and return to the branches when she's done....hungry and thirsty and thin.
Thank you soo much. I made her a tunnel, well I think that is good?!? And I misted her whole area. I tried lifting her to put her in the bin. She didn’t want to and hissed. I left her alone. But she did allow me to mist her area and mist her face and drank from there. I kept misting her when she opened her mouth for water. Then she stopped and seems very relaxed. And she barely delivered eggs? How would I know if she is egg bound, just Incase I can take her to a vet for help.

This I was I got from your post: when you said that she got stressed when you opened it, is the bin separate from the cage? I’m getting mixed signals
No I haven’t crated a bin, I just did. When I called Petco, who sold me her. They told me to leave her alone. Stress will not help her push the empty eggs out. They told me I shouldn’t do nothing to the cage. So I left it. But now she is still pushing. I attached pictures of her bin now and the eggs she laid. Should I return the eggs in the bin?

Think it’s pretty obvious there is no bin. Instead of covering up the cage and giving her privacy, you are constantly around it and opening it/manually misting?

Think it’s pretty obvious there is no bin. Instead of covering up the cage and giving her privacy, you are constantly around it and opening it/manually misting?
Yes! I was told to leave her alone and not put anything! So I got worried that she was still not laying eggs. So I removed the decor. She started laying eggs. Now she is still Laying eggs. I have no fixed her enclosed and placed a bind she is observing it while drinking water off the plants. And yes manually misting her.

Yes! I was told to leave her alone and not put anything! So I got worried that she was still not laying eggs. So I removed the decor. She started laying eggs. Now she is still Laying eggs. I have no fixed her enclosed and placed a bind she is observing it while drinking water off the plants. And yes manually misting her.
What do you mean by decor?..... put a sheet around the bottom half of the cage and leave her alone. You picking her up, changing her cage, and adding a lay in is probably making her way too stressed.

What do you mean by decor?..... put a sheet around the bottom half of the cage and leave her alone. You picking her up, changing her cage, and adding a lay in is probably making her way too stressed.
The extra plant and tree branch I had in there. I only added extra soil when I saw she was pregnant. After she released some. But still releasing. I have no added a bin. To see if it’ll help her. But the ones she has been dropping she doesn’t cover. She just left them on top.

The extra plant and tree branch I had in there. I only added extra soil when I saw she was pregnant. After she released some. But still releasing. I have no added a bin. To see if it’ll help her. But the ones she has been dropping she doesn’t cover. She just left them on top.
Bare bottom for bioactive, put the plants and sticks back in there. Any space is waisted space within reason.

Chams don't usually just release eggs wherever lol.................LISTEN TO KINYONGA!!!
Yeah sounds silly. But she is just dropping them anywhere. And NOT covering them. So I don’t need to go find8’g them. I literally see them laying there. But I did what KINYONGA said. She looked at the bin. Made her way down. Observed it. And now back on her branch. Bright green. So we will see when she feels comfortable enough.

@Mrs.Rocky

Too many chefs in the kitchen right now. Ignore every post before this one. Not trying to be disrespectful to everyone already trying to help you but they are all focusing in on the wrong things.

You are way past time where the internet can help you.

Forget every husbandry change mentioned above and get her to a vet now, she is egg bound. Anything longer than 48hrs to lay is cause for concern. Maybe not panic, but concern. She will not survive long enough for the husbandry changes to help if you don’t.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom