Length in labor of infertile eggs

When did she drop the 37 eggs?
Are you going to take her to the vets again for an X-ray?
She dropped them on Saturday when I posted. Then on Sunday the vet called saying how concerned she was about her climbing. So I shifted her stuff to the bottom. But she was more worried about getting back up to her usual stuff that she just stopped her digging. I moved everything back to the top. This weekend I have an appointment and she is scheduled for an X-ray.

You seriously need to stop doing anything to the cage and don't disturb her or let her see you watching her IMHO. The only time you should disturb her is to give her her medication and only do it when she's up in the branches. I keep hoping to get her through this without you having to have surgery done on herald without her dying...but IMHO the more you disturb her the less chance there is of that happening. Even if she expels all the eggs it's no guarantee that she won't have to have the surgery anyway.

You seriously need to stop doing anything to the cage and don't disturb her or let her see you watching her IMHO. The only time you should disturb her is to give her her medication and only do it when she's up in the branches. I keep hoping to get her through this without you having to have surgery done on herald without her dying...but IMHO the more you disturb her the less chance there is of that happening. Even if she expels all the eggs it's no guarantee that she won't have to have the surgery anyway.
What is IMHO. Yeah I understand. I regretted moving the branches in the first place. And she was just angry. And no that I moved the branches back up she released an egg and started digging. So I’m more calm seeing her more relaxed.

A veiled chameleon may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy...this could take a few days. She should then turn around butt down and lay ALL the eggs one after the other while remaining in the hole the whole time. She should then fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches thin and hungry and thirsty.

When they drop eggs from the branches and/or don't follow what I said above that means they are either dissatisfied with the egg bin or they are in trouble. The trouble can be a calcium shortage/MBD or other nutrient imbalance or possibly a deformity in her reproductive tract or a number of other things and usually it would need surgery to remove the eggs and reproductive tract.

Almost always, if the female seems to drop all the eggs she will have trouble with the next batch she tries to lay and die because there were retained eggs or other issues from the previous situation.

I've never heard of a chameleon taking 6weeks to lay all the eggs and survive.

A veiled chameleon may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy...this could take a few days. She should then turn around butt down and lay ALL the eggs one after the other while remaining in the hole the whole time. She should then fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches thin and hungry and thirsty.

When they drop eggs from the branches and/or don't follow what I said above that means they are either dissatisfied with the egg bin or they are in trouble. The trouble can be a calcium shortage/MBD or other nutrient imbalance or possibly a deformity in her reproductive tract or a number of other things and usually it would need surgery to remove the eggs and reproductive tract.

Almost always, if the female seems to drop all the eggs she will have trouble with the next batch she tries to lay and die because there were retained eggs or other issues from the previous situation.

I've never heard of a chameleon taking 6weeks to lay all the eggs and survive.
Wow. That’s an information to take in. Thank you for sharing. When you say , when a female seems to drop all of her eggs, she will have trouble with the next batch she tried to lay and die. When you say drop. Like drop from the branches or like drop them in the whole she digged? Is there stuff to prevent female chameleons to struggle through egg laying. Like even before she even gets pregnant. Is a chameleon considered “pregnant” knowing there is no mate? Like ppl look at me weird when i say she’s pregnant but it’s empty eggs.

You can decrease the number of eggs she lays or even stop her from reproducing by controlling her diet and temperatures.

You have to start about 2 days after she lays her eggs. I don't know if it would work this time because you're/we're not sure she's done yet....so you won't know when to start.

A pregnant chameleon is said to be gravid.

I feel like now might be a good time for some to start, if they havent already, a pm to OP about the calcium issues. They havent really been tocuhed since were all concerned about the egg binding. This is all part of the underlying calcium deficiency leading to breaking bones and MBD. Unless I missed it somewhere?

You can decrease the number of eggs she lays or even stop her from reproducing by controlling her diet and temperatures.

You have to start about 2 days after she lays her eggs. I don't know if it would work this time because you're/we're not sure she's done yet....so you won't know when to start.

[/QUOTE
Wow sounds pretty serious word. Like when I’ve come across certain threads in my exploring of website I came across gravid. Thought like seriously sick. Good to know. Thank you. I don’t believe she is done because she is still not eating and I see a egg on her left side. Her right side you can see it’s completely flat/empty/skinny. But the left side you see a sack and then an egg shape towards the back. That’s when I knew she was ready to release them due to how noticeably round the shape was.

Wow sounds pretty serious word. Like when I’ve come across certain threads in my exploring of website I came across gravid. Thought like seriously sick. Good to know. Thank you. I don’t believe she is done because she is still not eating and I see a egg on her left side. Her right side you can see it’s completely flat/empty/skinny. But the left side you see a sack and then an egg shape towards the back. That’s when I knew she was ready to release them due to how noticeably round the shape was.

The length this has taken is increasingly concerning. Not that my response adds any value to this thread.

I feel like now might be a good time for some to start, if they havent already, a pm to OP about the calcium issues. They havent really been tocuhed since were all concerned about the egg binding. This is all part of the underlying calcium deficiency leading to breaking bones and MBD. Unless I missed it somewhere?
A pm to OP? What’s an OP? What’s MBD? Yes she lacked calcium hence difficulty forming shell and resulted to broken arm. There so much to learn.

The length this has taken is increasingly concerning. Not that my response adds any value to this thread.
Her releasing her eggs? Yes. That’s why I took her to the vet. Then she released some. Then we undid the progress because the vet was convinced everything in her enclosure should be shifted down ward. So my chameleon focused on getting herself back to the top rather than just laying the rest of the eggs. So hopefully soon she will release more. Now that everything is back to the top. So I’m hoping her focus will solely be on just digging to release the rest.

I believe addressing the husbandry issues has been deferred until after op gets her cham thru this. However, @Mrs.Rocky there are most likely many corrections that you’ll be needing to make. When you are ready, copy and paste the following and fill out with as much info as you can.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

OP....original poster...person who started this thread.
MBD...metabolic bone disease...weak/thin bones. Also the muscles and other things are affected by MBD.

MBD needs to be corrected and a proper husbandry/care set up so it won't return.

Please answer the questions @MissSkittles posted above.

A pm to OP? What’s an OP? What’s MBD? Yes she lacked calcium hence difficulty forming shell and resulted to broken arm. There so much to learn.

Original poster, thats you. MBD is metabolic bone disease. Comes from not dusting your crickets with calcium every feeding and then having a proper uvb linear bulb to provide your cham with the Vitamin D3 necessary to allow your cham to absorb the calcium. Definetely fill out the form @MissSkittles posted as well. If you dont fix this issue this will keep happening. If you get her spayed, the broken bones will still continue and eventually she wont be able to walk or eat.

Back
Top Bottom