Lemon died!

There are a lot of sanctuaries and non profit rescues here especially revolving around reptiles. People donate or the require a rehoming fee to hopefully make ends meet a bit. I don't do that because I don't have enough space to be considered an official rescue etc. But it doesn't stop me from doing similar stuff

I'm gonna be living with my parents for another 2 years (still in high school) but I plan on renting property from them and having an outside rescue type deal. I have a lot of time to spare and it's what I love to do. I help out Primeval when I can, but I'd like to help neglected guys too

I find a ton of my rescues of Craigslist or from pet stores who know what I do and have my number. I usually reach out to people. I have someone I rehomed a couple cresties too about 2 years ago but they have fallen on hard times and have to downsize due to being unable to give attention to all the animals they have now. They want to give the Crestview back to me including their new enclosure since I have the space and they know they will be taken care of well

Ahhh I see. Since I live in Oregon where exotic laws are almost nonexistent, I've seen plenty of people buy these creatures on a whim. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for people who don't know what they're doing. How did you go about telling pet stores these kinds of things?

I actually got really well known at my petco and petsmart and some smaller places because I'd talk about the animals I kept, and then I'd sometimes flag down a manager when I noticed something was off with one of their animals. They would check it out, often take them into the vet and I was usually 95% of the time correct with what was wrong. I started then asking about adopts, and then once was told about a hamster they had in the back who was too aggressive to be adopted out so they were waiting for word or something on what to do with it.... that started my rescue with the hamsters and was how I really got into the know. That was Icarus... he was amazing, I worked with him for 6 months before he even got remotely tolerant, then within 8 months he was friendly and loved people.... sadly within about 4 months after he got to the point of actually asking to be held every day he passed away. We don't know how old he was when we got him, so we don't know how old he was actually when he died with us. He went downhill very very fast. I had Tina too... who had some severe starvation issues when I first got her, so bad she was showing neurological symptoms. She then showed signs of a bone infection her nasal cavity and was too weak from the get go (since she was still gaining weight when it first appeared with me) to fight it off even with all the vet visits we had. I think I took her in 6 different times because she did amazing until the last time... and then I had to put her down because she didn't do well with the anathesia correctly and we assume it just had gone farther than anything we could do could help. Right now I have 5 guys, all rescues. All show different signs of what they have been through, either emotionally/mentally or physically.

I'm glad to hear Tina and Icarus finally found someone who loved them before they passed. I've talked with the manager of my local petsmart (telling him 90 percent of his veiled care guides are wrong and that I would be willing to give correct basic care info, telling him most of his beardies have MBD or that they're out of water and their diet needs more insects) but he's sort of a know it all prick, and basically calls me a dumb kid. As for the Grange pet country I've talked with their manager (I brought Yoyo in once and she loved him!) and she made sure animals got very well taken care of. We trade off different feeders (I trade her mantids I hatch or ootheca for some dubias) and that works amazing. The general problem is that the places that are willing to listen don't have an issues in the first place, yknow?

Yeah, sadly that's too much of a truth... most of my big box stores here are really helpful and thankfully their managers are completely asses. I have actually run into more issues with the smaller pet stores.

I went to check out a new pet store around me because there aren't too many especially that actually sell animals and they had 3 or 4 adult chams in the same cages next to each other. And a beardie just being eaten alive by crickets. Ferrets running around with little kids chasing them around the whole time. I've never seen anything like it I had to leave

Back
Top Bottom