Legality of chameleons in Puerto Rico/invasive species

ChamomilleCame

Avid Member
So Craigwyatt had a question yesterday about the legality of chameleons in Puerto Rico. I called DRNA (which controls the natural environment of Puerto Rico in a legal aspect) and was told that the only legal chameleons in PR are jacksons and veileds. I was pretty surprised to hear this, since these are the two chameleons that have become invasive in Hawaii. I take that the environment of Hawaii and Puerto Rico is very similar, since one of our native species of animals (the coquí) was exported illegally to Hawaii and is now an invasive species.

I read an article that mentioned how chameleons could not be an invasive species in Puerto Rico, and I really fail to see how the veiled and jacksons wouldn't thrive. Puerto Rico has different types of environments all over the island. For example, the veiled would thrive in the south of Puerto Rico because it's much dryer and warmer than any other area of the island. The jacksons would thrive in the middle of Puerto Rico, which is home to the National Rain Forest.
Besides the environment, there are many native species of insects that would appeal to chameleons. I don't know much about these native insects (I live in the city), but a quick Google search showed me an article about all the insects that are in Puerto Rico ( good pictures in here http://edicionesdigitales.info/insectos/insectos.pdf ). Lots of grasshoppers, crickets, stick bugs, flying insects that would be an absolute feast to them. Not to mention the anoles that are found all around the island that can be eaten so easily by an adult veiled.

I feel so conflicted about this. If vieleds and jacksons are legal, why don't they just make them all legal? Or do more research on which ones would better thrive or die off? More importantly, they should make an effort to educate exotic pet owners to take proper care of these animals so that reptiles don't hold the bad reputation that the green iguana has in Puerto Rico.

What chameleons wouldn't thrive? I really can't think of any (in the current trade) that wouldn't be chill living here.

Well, the entities that decide what's legal or illegal are not always operating with much knowledge about the critters. They may have decided this based on decades-old information when veileds and jackson's were the most likely species people would request to import (they've been around the hobby longer and are probably the most familiar). It could also depend on those species' CITES status or the level of exportation from their countries of origin. They may have considered Hawaii's situation with their spreading nonnative cham species. I don't know, just guessing. It often takes a long time for governments to revise their policies...if no one protests a current regulation and provides better information that questions it, nothing changes.

Well, the entities that decide what's legal or illegal are not always operating with much knowledge about the critters. They may have decided this based on decades-old information when veileds and jackson's were the most likely species people would request to import (they've been around the hobby longer and are probably the most familiar). It could also depend on those species' CITES status or the level of exportation from their countries of origin. They may have considered Hawaii's situation with their spreading nonnative cham species. I don't know, just guessing. It often takes a long time for governments to revise their policies...if no one protests a current regulation and provides better information that questions it, nothing changes.

I've dealt with the DRNA when I brought my parrots in and out of the US Virgin Islands. They are a challenge at best. My not speaking Spanish sure didn't help!

For those interested, Puerto Rico, like the US Virgin Islands, is part of the US so you don't need CITES permits.

I've dealt with the DRNA when I brought my parrots in and out of the US Virgin Islands. They are a challenge at best. My not speaking Spanish sure didn't help!

For those interested, Puerto Rico, like the US Virgin Islands, is part of the US so you don't need CITES permits.

DRNA is pretty incompetent imo. They don't know much about exotic animals like reptiles, which is probably why there are green iguanas all over the place. There are a few amazonian parrot groups (what are they called?) roaming around the island too. Don't even get me started on caimans...
They're better at keeping plants in or out, since there isn't much of a plant trade compared to the exotic animal trade.
I respect their work though. It's so important to not have another invasive species situation.

DRNA is pretty incompetent imo. They don't know much about exotic animals like reptiles, which is probably why there are green iguanas all over the place. There are a few amazonian parrot groups (what are they called?) roaming around the island too. Don't even get me started on caimans...
They're better at keeping plants in or out, since there isn't much of a plant trade compared to the exotic animal trade.
I respect their work though. It's so important to not have another invasive species situation.

The Puerto Rican Amazon Parrots are native to Puerto Rico--only place they are found. There is only 30 or 40 birds in the wild. There are of course other escaped parrots.

Back
Top Bottom