Legal roaches in Canada!

Lennoncham

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just found out that there are actually 2 types of roaches that are legal in Canada. The Australian roach (Periplaneta australasiae) and Surinam roaches (Pycnoscelus surinamensis). Can’t wait to get these once the weather warms up enough for them to ship to me.

Anyone else use these?

D7C0BBE4-0A62-44B6-81E5-FA968D725FAD.png
57635872-4011-46EA-8A77-4430529DAB92.png

I know many keepers use roaches due to the smell and noise advantage over crickets. I think the dubia is an easy one to get a colony going.

Unfortunately for my cham I am really not into them I get the heebee geebees if you will and Lucky for me my Cham doesn't seem to like them when I've offered roaches as feeders. I'm sure your chameleon will be thrilled to have some new varieties to snack on!

I know many keepers use roaches due to the smell and noise advantage over crickets. I think the dubia is an easy one to get a colony going.

Unfortunately for my cham I am really not into them I get the heebee geebees if you will and Lucky for me my Cham doesn't seem to like them when I've offered roaches as feeders. I'm sure your chameleon will be thrilled to have some new varieties to snack on!

Ya. I’m hoping they will like them. I think my veiled would probably eat anything that moves but we will find out. I know you can find Dubia sometimes in Canada but they are illegal.

They also have these what do you think?

80D13217-CBC7-4FC2-81EE-68D74A6AA2AB.png

I just found out that there are actually 2 types of roaches that are legal in Canada. The Australian roach (Periplaneta australasiae) and Surinam roaches (Pycnoscelus surinamensis). Can’t wait to get these once the weather warms up enough for them to ship to me.

Anyone else use these?

View attachment 227169View attachment 227170
That is awesome! I am sure your chams will be thrilled. I am not good with the flying roaches. When I was younger I lived in the south... Alabama to be specific. I had one fly into my hair... To this day flying roaches freak me out. Took me weeks just to tolerate the dubia :hilarious:

I've heard milkweed bugs are a pain to raise for some reason.

I use surinam's, they have been easy to keep and my chams tend to like them.

Or really? From what I have read they need to be in a well lit area. The only food I have read the eat other then milkweed which is toxic is sunflower seeds. Will have to do more research into it.

That is awesome! I am sure your chams will be thrilled. I am not good with the flying roaches. When I was younger I lived in the south... Alabama to be specific. I had one fly into my hair... To this day flying roaches freak me out. Took me weeks just to tolerate the dubia :hilarious:

Ah! Which ones fly? Lol. I haven’t read much about them yet.

Or really? From what I have read they need to be in a well lit area. The only food I have read the eat other then milkweed which is toxic is sunflower seeds. Will have to do more research into it.

Ah! Which ones fly? Lol. I haven’t read much about them yet.
Oh I just saw wings in those pics and assumed flying... Any roach with wing like anything gets squished in my house :hilarious:

Oh I just saw wings in those pics and assumed flying... Any roach with wing like anything gets squished in my house :hilarious:

Ya I just looked it up the Australian roaches can fly. May have to rethink getting those. My mom would be pissed if a roach flew upstairs lol.

So, I was at pet store this morning buying crickets and super worms, and then noticed these!! I have no idea of where they came from, or anything about there names, lol. They are a lil pricey tho. These where them.
isopods.jpg

As a carpenter, not a fan of the woodlice (potatoe bugs where I live), seems like its against everything I stand for lol

Back
Top Bottom