Left eye closed, weird shape?

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon:
About 7 and a half month old male veiled chameleon.
Handling: I try to handle him once in awhile. He will puff up and hiss but can be held.
Feeding: Eats well, up to 8 small dubia roaches a day around 3 o'clock right now(I'm trying to change to mornings). I have a colony of roaches that are fed ground almonds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds; kale, collard greens, apples, and carrots.
Supplements: Exo terra calcium without d3 every feeding, Flukers calcium with d3 twice a month, exo terra multi vitamins about once a week(I went to the vet because he has symptoms of MBD last week, she said give multivitamin more often because of his eyes being closed).
Watering: He has a monsoon mister going off for 2 minutes every 4 hours. His poo looks good, so I assume he's drinking. I only saw him drink 3 times.
Fecal Description: Normal looking black with a normal looking white urate. Never been tested for parasites.
History: Only had him for about 3 months, don't really know his history before then.

Cage info:

Cage type:
Screen Reptibreeze 48x24x24 inch. 3 sides are covered with plastic wrap to keep humidity in.
Lighting: One 10.0 tube zoomed UVB light. One exo terra 75 watt daylight basking spot bulb. Lights turn on at 7 am and turn off at 8:30 pm.
Temperature: Basking spot goes up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The rest of the cage stays around 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I use two thermometers and 2 digital thermometers, and a humidity gauge and a digital humidity gauge. Night time temps can go to 65 degrees Fahrenheit at winter. Now, it's about 67 degrees.
Humidity: Stays around 50 percent. When misted it can go up to 80 percent for a couple hours.
Plants: I have some fake plastic vines and 2 live plants, an umbrella plant and aa potho.
Placement: Low traffic right now as I'm in school during the day. It is located in my room about 2 and a half feet from my window, 3 feet off the ground. Location: I'm located in Eastern Washington. Hot summers, cold winters.

Problem: About a week ago, I took him to the vet to check him for MBD (which he has and is being treated with liquid calcium) and for keeping his eyes shut alot and sleeping. The vet said to give more multivitamins because he might have a vitamin A deficiency. He seemed better after the multivitamins and was keeping both eyes open. Now, starting yesterday, I noticed that he is keeping is left eye completely shut(right eye is normal) and if he opens it, which is very rare, it looks like a football shape instead of round and circular. I want to know what it is, and if I can do anything at home since I just went to the vet. I have some pictures.

Attachments

• 1527206021638973697543.jpg
    1527206021638973697543.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20180524_163039.jpg
    IMG_20180524_163039.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20180524_163122.jpg
    IMG_20180524_163122.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20180524_163126.jpg
    IMG_20180524_163126.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20180524_163130.jpg
    IMG_20180524_163130.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 135
Another update. Just noticed him standing like this, very thin looking. Is that a problem? I've never seen him like this until today.

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_121106.jpg
    IMG_20180526_121106.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 112
I'm pretty new to chameleons but I've spent the past month nursing an almost dead veiled back to life. Eyes have been a constant struggle. I'll tell you what I did.

Eye rinse
It's possible he has debris in his eye. Try rinsing with artificial tears (preservative free) - https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-artificial-tears-vials/ID=prod6285019-product
Here's how I do it:
1. Allow him to warm up in the morning. Once he is toasty and awake, very very gently remove him from the enclosure with as little stress as possible. Warm up your hands under a hair dryer or something so that you aren't handling him with cold hands - this makes them less likely to freak out when you touch them. Take as much time as necessary to do this with low stress. The less he is stressed the better the next steps will go.
2. I sit crosslegged on the floor with a towel in my lap. I make ridges in the towel so he has branch-shaped things to hold on to. gently place him on the towel, and gently cup a warm hand over his body touching as little of his body as possible, holding his casque between your thumb and index finger. this is just to keep his head from wiggling around when you drop the drops in. Exert as little force as possible, imagine you're trying to hold a flower up by it's petal.
3. Take the eyedrop dispenser and gently squeeze drops into his eye. Do two or three of the little vials.
-If his eye is closed VERY GENTLY place the dropper nozzle to his eyelid where they meet and make the "football shape" and express the vials with force. VERY IMPORTANT- DO NOT release suction on the vial while it is against his eye. If you need to squeeze more out keep the vial pinched, pull away from the eye, release the suction and then go back in for round 2. If you release it sucks air in and may hurt his eye.

^do not stress when you do this. You will tense up and that will make him freak out. just stay relaxed. Practice on a leaf of lettuce or something if you're nervous about muscle memory. I have been doing this twice a day for three weeks for my cham. Yours probably won't need that much but try doing it at least several days in a row.

Vitamin Eye Drops
You may also want to try vitamin A turtle eye drops. You can get them at most pet stores They helped my guy a lot. I do that via the same method above except I take an old vial, mix two drops of vit a turtle drops with a squirt of water and dispense into the eye.

Water
He looks a little dehydrated in the last pic you posted. If you're having trouble getting water into him, get small ml syringe (no needle!) from the pharmacy (just ask, they'll give you one for free). Fill that with water and use it to drip water into his mouth while he's eating. Don't overdo it. I would also recommend upping the misting time to 5 minutes for a few days. That will give him more time to clean his eyes and get some access to active dripping water. You can also poke a pinhole in the bottom of a plastic gallon of water and drip water down the branch he likes. Chameleons can wick water off of branches into their mouths to stay hydrated.

Medicated ointment
It's possible there may be a minor infection. I haven't done this but it's possible to put antibiotic ointment on their eyes. I haven't done this or read much about it, but you should maybe look into this and ask the vet about it.

Just remember there is a line with chams. If you can tell you're handling him too much for him to cope with back off. It's not worth making things worse. Try to keep handling to max 2 short sessions daily to dispense necessary healthcare items.

I hope that helps. Keep in contact with your vet and maybe call around for a second opinion.

Another update. Just noticed him standing like this, very thin looking. Is that a problem? I've never seen him like this until today.

This is called "exflation." It is when chameleons, for lack of a better phrase, suck in their body to appear smaller. Typically I see chams do this when they feel threatened, like if they see a bird fly overhead while outside. There are lots of reasons he could be doing it, though, so it's hard to say

Anyone have any ideas?

Try actual Vitamin A- the liquid caps you get at any store- poke a hole and put a drop on his lips while he is drinking - I got two chameleons to open their eyes and have normal eyesight after a similar issue, this was recommended to me by the vet that saw them.

Thanks for all the help, I found out a couple days ago what he was sheding on his eye! I'm really relieved now! He just had shed skin on his eye.

Back
Top Bottom