LED vs T5 with daylight bulbs

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Ok I could use some feedback. I know plants need light but I have never fully understood it. I just redid Beman's cage and I added in two hibiscus at the bottom.

Currently I am running 2 T5 fixtures with 6400k daylight bulbs. And the T5 with the 6% UVB bulb. Is this enough to support the Hibiscus and for it to bloom?

Should I add another T5 with daylight bulb or a Jungle Dawn LED bar? And what is the difference on output for these. I really do not get it. Or should I upgrade my 6400k bulbs to the zoo med ultra sun 6500k bulbs? Seen here https://www.joshsfrogs.com/zoomed-ultrasun-trichromatic-super-daylight-bulb-ho-t5-34-39-w.html

This is the cage now with all lighting on.

IMG_6586.jpg

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/light-requirements-for-hibiscus.htm

Part of the problem is terminology: Lumens, PAR (there are at least two meanings for this acronym) PFD, PPFD, flux, DLI... "I'M SO BEFUSED!!!" :eek:

T5 plant lights have a lower initial cost, but over 5 years catch up & surpass the cost of LED plant lights. T5s are also more expensive to operate than LEDs, and contain mercury, which can be a disposal issue for some depending on local regs.

I looked at Jungle Dawn seriously. Unfortunately, they do not make a 46/48" version. They are also (IMO) overpriced with a shorter warranty (1 yr. vs. 5 yrs.) compared to many other LED plant light options.

Here's a quick seat-of-the-pants cost comparison.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/plant-lighting.183207/#post-1674575

Feel free to look up prices & plug in your own numbers.

I am trying to avoid the sansi lights just because of the heat output. I do not have an easy way to raise these off the top.

I am not concerned about the cost over time just do not understand all the PAR this and that. When reading it they all sound the same. 6500k daylight bulbs are supposed to be in the same range that the sun puts out but they say that about the LED Bars as well.

All my other plants are fine under the daylight bulbs but they also are low light plants. The hibiscus are high light so back to me being confused about the options.

I know that the LED bars are supposed to promote blooming in plants. Not sure why though lol

My cage is 30 inches wide so I was thinking the 22 inch bar since the next size up is 34. But maybe I would do better going the 34 inch in the LED bar.

But again I do not understand why this light is different than that light. :hilarious:

I am trying to avoid the sansi lights just because of the heat output. I do not have an easy way to raise these off the top.

I am not concerned about the cost over time just do not understand all the PAR this and that. When reading it they all sound the same. 6500k daylight bulbs are supposed to be in the same range that the sun puts out but they say that about the LED Bars as well.

All my other plants are fine under the daylight bulbs but they also are low light plants. The hibiscus are high light so back to me being confused about the options.

I know that the LED bars are supposed to promote blooming in plants. Not sure why though lol

My cage is 30 inches wide so I was thinking the 22 inch bar since the next size up is 34. But maybe I would do better going the 34 inch in the LED bar.

But again I do not understand why this light is different than that light. :hilarious:

Uhh readers digest version

lizards have a UVI zone that they have to hit for good bone growth. AKA the strength of the UVB bone growth section of the light spectrum. It really does not matter what the style/watts/etc of the bulb, as long as you know the UVI that is hitting the lizard
Plants have something similar called ,it called PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density)aka the strength of the photosynthesis section of light spectrum. It doesnt matter the watts/Lumens/PAR/etc, as long as you know the PPFD that is hitting your plants.

If you want me to throw a monkey into the wrench, jenfur427. found these and they are very nice grow lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Equivalent-Spectrum-Reflector-Greenhouse/dp/B07ZJLWXFR

Uhh readers digest version

lizards have a UVI zone that they have to hit for good bone growth. AKA the strength of the UVB bone growth section of the light spectrum. It really does not matter what the style/watts/etc of the bulb, as long as you know the UVI that is hitting the lizard
Plants have something similar called ,it called PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density)aka the strength of the photosynthesis section of light spectrum. It doesnt matter the watts/Lumens/PAR/etc, as long as you know the PPFD that is hitting your plants.

If you want me to throw a monkey into the wrench, jenfur427. found these and they are very nice grow lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Equivalent-Spectrum-Reflector-Greenhouse/dp/B07ZJLWXFR
Yeah I am reading old threads and I think I am just more confused than before lol.

Back
Top Bottom