LED Lighting and vivarium-like planting

I use the 40 watt Jungle Dawn Spots and they are wonderful for a larger set-up and if filtered through a screen top. They will burn foliage, not with temperature, but with light intensity, if the foliage is too close. This is not a flaw in the product, but a testament to just how powerful the lights are. They are safe fore chameleons and make great basking spots for montane species, in some cases.

On another note, I was using 8 HO T5 bulbs for each side of my large parsonii cage, for a total of 16 bulbs.
I just swapped out the T5s for T8 LED retrofits, in 4 6tube fixtures that cost $90 each, with built in reflectors. The result is a more natural light (LEDs are 5000k) and far less wattage consumption and heat output, with 24 bulbs to the former 16. I get better coverage, because of the configuration of the fixtures, spreading the tubes and the light output over a wider area.

Lighting depends on the species and enclosure. Screen filters out 30% and even up to 70% of light, in the case of reptariums, so the extra lumens given by the HO T5s are needed. In my case, I don't have fine screen between the lights and the plants, so I could get away with half the lumen output of the T5s. I also only rely on the linear bulbs to light the canopy and use the Jungle Dawns to get light down to the lower growing plants. Lighting is a subject that could have its very own forum and I've had everything, from aquariums with live corals, to competitive horticulture to test and expand my knowledge.
When you start getting into red and blue LEDs, they are great for plant growth, but can have unintended consequences on a chameleon. The spectrum needs to be balanced and come out to around 5000k, overall, for chameleons to see things in a natural way and to feel properly stimulated. Overly red, blue, or yellow lights can impact their appetite and behavior, especially in wild caught animals.
Below are before and after of the enclosure, with the first photos being T5 lighting and the last being the new LED retrofits. Unfortunately, there is a yellow ceiling fan light on, but even so, the light is visible less yellow and more natural.

looks awesome ! I noticed you suggested the Jungle Dawn spot light would be a good basking spot for montane species, does it emit enough head to act as one? I watched the video from their website and they did mention that it emits a little heat seeing how powerful they are. Have you measured the temp under there?

48" LED retrofits cost $17.99 a 2 pack and a 6 tube T8 fixture that accepts the retrofits and comes with a built in reflector is $90. That's pretty inexpensive, compared to what you'd pay from a pet store.

I've made my own LED lighting for this current build of my terrarium. Those prices don't look nearly as bad, but when you only have an 18x24 top to do everything, adding larger T8 fixtures can be problematic. I currently have a T5 unit (4 bulbs) and a Zoomed LED/ UVB light. Both of which are too big in My opinon for the top as they block almost all of the screen, so I'm concerned with trapped head and moisture.

BUT..thanks for setting me straight about the cost!

The JD can get a basking spot between 80-85F depending on how close you get it to the perch. They are relatively cool to the touch and don't pose the danger of burning the animal at closer proximities, as do traditional basking bulbs. Use good judgement and caution.

Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone uses LED lights in addition to UVB and heating ? If so, has there been any downfalls/setbacks or benefits? I've kept a panther many years ago, and now I am considering on getting another panther or Jackson and having it in a well planted near vivarium-like set up. Thought ? Thank you.

Goood gooood let the Cham addiction flow.. Buy more chams lol. I used to have 2 now I got 8! :D

Goood gooood let the Cham addiction flow.. Buy more chams lol. I used to have 2 now I got 8! :D

Am I a nerd for laughing out loud at this comment and knowing the joke? I've used the Emperor Palpatine "good gooood" reference millions of times over the years with the kids for a ton of stuff....lol

IMG_9737.JPG
IMG_9736.JPG
any chance you can throw up some pics?would love to see whats on the top of your enclosure and whats living inside, thanks =)
Here are the pics

Back
Top Bottom