Leaving for a month?

So I am leaving california and visiting family for a month. I am going on a road trip there and back and was thinking of actually bringing my chameleon because I don't trust anyone with its care at home. I can bring it in a smaller screen cage with lights and all and there there are empty tanks I can keep him in. I was wondering simply if this would be a really bad thing to do or if I can go ahead and bring him on a three day road trip. People ship chameleons, would it be less hard on him if I kept him in a smaller ventilated container in the dark? I could make a safe place in the trunk and keep the temp good with cold/hot packs. Thanks! :confused::confused::confused:

If it were me I'd take him. A small screen enclosure should be fine. I would plan to stop at rest areas a few times a day for a mist, drip and then a warm up before getting back in an air conditioned car.

Just make sure to put her in a place that doesn't get any of the exhaust fumes. It would really suck for her to get carbon monoxide poisoning because of being in the trunk with no fresh air flow.

I definitely wouldn't recommend putting her in the trunk. Maybe there's a keeper on here in your area that would keep her for you. Start a thread and ask.

So I am leaving california and visiting family for a month. I am going on a road trip there and back and was thinking of actually bringing my chameleon because I don't trust anyone with its care at home. I can bring it in a smaller screen cage with lights and all and there there are empty tanks I can keep him in. I was wondering simply if this would be a really bad thing to do or if I can go ahead and bring him on a three day road trip. People ship chameleons, would it be less hard on him if I kept him in a smaller ventilated container in the dark? I could make a safe place in the trunk and keep the temp good with cold/hot packs. Thanks! :confused::confused::confused:

So let me understand a little more:

You will be on the road for 3 days and then visiting somewhere for a month where you could set up a temp cage? If so, you could do it. I wouldn't put the cham in the trunk. A small cage in the car would work unless he's going to stress out from all the scenery change outside. You could block his view with a white sheet. If you must put him into a dark box put it in the cabin of the car and plan not to overuse your AC. To give him some UV each day on the road trip either let him bask first thing in the mornings or stop early enough in the day to let him bask a while so he can digest some food.

I would also get a contact for a decent vet where you'll be staying just in case something does happen (a stress-related respiratory problem etc). An emergency visit to an unknown vet wouldn't help anyone much.

On the other hand, chams hate changes. Are you sure there are no options at home for care? Maybe a local herp society member might be interested. Your vet may have some suggestions for other herp hobbyists around (even someone at the vet's office might be intrigued to care for your cham). Really, an established healthy cham isn't that hard to deal with if your cage lights, misting, etc is as automated as possible. Would someone need to come to your house to mist or do you have a misting system? Will anyone be at your house to do obvious things like watch the room temps? You don't really need to feed every day, so the main issue is misting or filling a system reservoir.

Last edited:
I am pretty set on bringing her. I have a small bird cage (probably ten gallons) and can bring lights so in iowa everything is controlled and bring food, lights, etc. I can bring her out on pit stops and I can figure out a herp vet. I don't have an auto mister, to expensive. When I get to iowa I can put a 30g tank on its side with the screen door and have a small fan blowing for circulation. Its SUPER humid it iowa (I hate it) so humidity is not a problem and I can keep the uvb next to the screen and bring supplements etc. The car will be anywhere between 70F and 100F on the trip so thats not a problem. I can bring a small blanket to cover the cage if necessary. Thanks for helping me sort this out!

Are you the same guy who has been looking for male for your gravid female? Shouldn't she be due for laying? Might not be good to have her bouncing around a car.

I have no idea why she hasn't layed yet, her belly is so big. If I put the cage on a blanket or something it will help absorb the shock of the wheels on the road. I heard you can't trim there nailed AT ALL but would a little trim just to make them not so sharp hurt anything? It causes little wounds on my arm whenever she is on me.

I am in southern California, and there is a vet who is really great who said they will board chameleons and he was fine, but a little pricy (he's under a year, if that makes any difference). You can PM me if you want the address and so and so. If not, just search online for any people who own or have owned chameleons and are willing to take care of them for you because many people own chameleons in California. If you try hard enough, you will probably find someone.

I deffinately wouldn't take her on a trip until after she's laid the eggs and had some time to recover. If you have to go right away then you should find and experienced Cham keeper (that has females) to leave her with.

Okay, I will see if I can find someone. If I can't is it impossible for me to bring her? Can she show receptive colors while gravid because she is.

I deffinately wouldn't take her on a trip until after she's laid the eggs and had some time to recover. If you have to go right away then you should find and experienced Cham keeper (that has females) to leave her with.

Oh she's gravid?? That changes everything! I would not take her with you! Much safer to train someone to care for her at their house.

I'm in Sacramento and can watch him if you would like. I just got done watching over 10 of west coast chameleons brothers "mitch"s chams for like 3 months because he was having a hard time in life.

Feel free to message me if you would be interested in letting me help you.

I also have been breeding chams for over 5 years and can handle Gravid females. I have two incubators full of eggs currently.

Back
Top Bottom