Least favorite thing about keeping chams

I would have to say space. I want more & more chams, but don't have the room because their cages have to be so big.
I worry about them all the time but in a strange way that is kind of rewarding for me. It's hard to explain, I guess it's a motherly thing.....have to have something to worry about & someone who still needs me. The munchkins are getting older, they don't need me as much. :(

There is no "bad part" to keeping chameleons (in my opinion).
All of the things mentioned are part of the experience and I wouldn't trade any of them.
I love having some chams on board for my adventure (life)

-Brad

Being a new cham mommy, I haven't found a lot I don't like yet (well, except switching out THREE plants to get to a nontoxic one!). After all these years owning parrots, Joyce seems low maintenance by comparison: She does not throw her meals all over the house, she does not began demanding "Come here. Mama, come here! HEY!! COME HERE!!!" the minute I walk in the door, and she does not need new toys every month to replace the ones she has destroyed. :D

So far, the misting is a bit of a pain. I already knew I hated crickets because I have to feed them to the frogs and gecko in my office as well. I did find out my big macaw also hates crickets. The minute they start chirping, she yells "HEY, SHUT UP!!!!!" :rolleyes:

I find that if we try to look at things differently, we can learn more, than new members approaching it like hey let me hear only the good things.

Being a new cham mommy, I haven't found a lot I don't like yet (well, except switching out THREE plants to get to a nontoxic one!). After all these years owning parrots, Joyce seems low maintenance by comparison: She does not throw her meals all over the house, she does not began demanding "Come here. Mama, come here! HEY!! COME HERE!!!" the minute I walk in the door, and she does not need new toys every month to replace the ones she has destroyed. :D

So far, the misting is a bit of a pain. I already knew I hated crickets because I have to feed them to the frogs and gecko in my office as well. I did find out my big macaw also hates crickets. The minute they start chirping, she yells "HEY, SHUT UP!!!!!" :rolleyes:

I have great confidence that you will be a good chameleon keeper (possibly addict)
I am always telling people to treat chameleons more like parrots than lizards ... their husbandry actually falls between somewhere.... I always think that bird keepers have a definite advantage over reptile keepers in the beginning with chameleons.

-Brad

Very nicely put Justin! I feel ya, my chameleons make me VERY happy. Except I myself don't like the poop, getting pooped on, cleaning up the gum ball sized Melleri turds, and worst of all finding live parasites in it :D
I dont have any complaints here.
It's all about getting in a rythm.
I havent found a perfect one, but it's getting really close.
I enjoy everything about keeping my chameleons.
I love all feeders!
If you are complaining about crickets making noise, then why not buy them a bit younger?
Yes, crickets do stink, but would you have it any other way?
Roaches can smell too!
It isn't as strong, but if your like me I rotate feeders each week.
If the roach flats sit for a week, and you start turning them over to find small guys to feed- HOLY SMOKES!
It's just a quick whiff, but it still isn't very pleasant.
Superworms aren't any better.
If you dont change the bran once every two weeks, then you end up with a stinky garage.
Plants will die on occasion, but Joe and I have it down!
Just buy a few extra plants.
I have been extremely lucky with parasites, so no complaints there.

The costs are worth the reward in my opinion.
If you ever get the chance to buy a chameleon at a very youg age and raise it to adulthood then I would jump on it.
That is even if your not breeding.
If you want a pet that dosent cost money, then you need to stop looking for a pet.
I had my male Veiled for over a year before I decided to breed my own pair.

The only complaint here is.... space!
I'm just trying to make sure I have enough room to have baby cages without being cramped.

Last edited:
I would have to say (in addition to crickets) that having a cham has given me a new dislike for water and how it gets everywhere and really destroys things.:mad:

Agreed in full. I will never be 100% satisfied with my drainage setup. Water still gets into and collects at places it should never be. :mad:

Hi everybody,
I can deal with poop, cleaning the cage...etc. but the thing that bothers me the most is when your Chameleon goes on a hunger strike all of a sudden!!
You go thru all your checks such as: lighting, humidity levels, possible feeder contamination, same insect boredom, slight constipation, and it's a waiting game even though your Chameleon seems to look alert and healthy! Would love to get "inside" the mind of a Chameleon and ask, "What set you off from eating all of a sudden!!"

Christine

1. plant parasites and not being able to use any chemicals to get rid of them
2. the still limited knowedge of veterinary medicine (compared to more 'normal' pets

Well...vet bills,idk bout you guys but that kills me! I hate it ,but i also hate the sound of crickets crawling in the cup feeder,or if they jump out having to find them when i hear them at night:mad:

The only thing that I truely hate is when I wake up to a cricket crawling on my face because I have yet to find a way to truely keep the crickets confined. My mom hates the crickets...but she also didn't like it a while back when I had a cornsnake that escaped and wraped itself around the shower head...and guess who got to the shower first...LOL...Hillarious!! But I wouldn't trade my chams for anything! I learned early in the game to get medium crix. After my first box of 1000 large crix and 3 weeks of endless chirping night I realized that wasn't going to work out. I have been told the med crix are better anyways because they don't have such a thick exoskeleton(or whatever you call it :) ) and they have more protein. I am not sure how true that is but I believe anything!

Back
Top Bottom