Leaf insects

Panther678

So a reptile shop near me has leaf insects and I haven't found these ever and I really want them.
I have a few questions, what temp do I have to keep them? What's the best enclosure screen or mesh? I have bramble that I bought from a shop in 2018 that I bought from wilko and its grown huge would it be safe to use in terms of pesticidesremaining in or on it?

Last edited:
They also have black beauties which are so amazing. I heard they dont eat bramble but in the shop they feed them bramble so I guess you can although online it says differently. Also I heard they spray this chemical spray when nervous is this dangerous.

So a reptile shop near me has leaf insects and I haven't found these ever and I really want them.
I have a few questions, what temp do I have to keep them? What's the best enclosure screen or mesh? I have bramble that I bought from a shop in 2018 that I bought from wilko and its grown huge would it be safe to use in terms of pesticidesremaining in or on it?

Room temp (65-75) is fine. Screen or mesh, either works but screen has better airflow whereas butterfly screens are easier to “crack open” to keep nymphs from escaping. Lightly mist 1x a day if not 2x... they like to drink. Dont house with any other insects or they’ll be munched on - might even chew on each other if you dont provide adequate food.

Bramble for 2018 prob has enough new growth i’d think its ok... bu I rinse everything really well first. I’d take cuttings vs putting whole plant in - so you can allow it to regrow vs the whole thing being munched. My friend does a whole plant but has 4 to cycle thru so the plant recovers.

They are really cool - are they nymphs? Adults dont live a super long time so i’d get nymphs so you can enjoy the whole life cycle - otherwise you might get a few months of enjoyment.

Room temp (65-75) is fine. Screen or mesh, either works but screen has better airflow whereas butterfly screens are easier to “crack open” to keep nymphs from escaping. Lightly mist 1x a day if not 2x... they like to drink. Dont house with any other insects or they’ll be munched on - might even chew on each other if you dont provide adequate food.

Bramble for 2018 prob has enough new growth i’d think its ok... bu I rinse everything really well first. I’d take cuttings vs putting whole plant in - so you can allow it to regrow vs the whole thing being munched. My friend does a whole plant but has 4 to cycle thru so the plant recovers.

They are really cool - are they nymphs? Adults dont live a super long time so i’d get nymphs so you can enjoy the whole life cycle - otherwise you might get a few months of enjoyment.
Yes they are so cute and cool here are pics attached below, which soil would you use to grow them in.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butterfl...4854b74aa7a707e841b6|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
Is an enclosure like this one fine.
Thanks 20201017_233123.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, I used the tall version of that, but 12” is the minimum height needed so they can molt. Any substrate (or even no substrate). They will hang off the branches of your bramble or oak - so i like using somewhar long pieces and leaving old stuff in when i replace it, so they have lots to hang from.... just make sure it doesnt get too crowded or too low so they can hang and molt.

Yes, I used the tall version of that, but 12” is the minimum height needed so they can molt. Any substrate (or even no substrate). They will hang off the branches of your bramble or oak - so i like using somewhar long pieces and leaving old stuff in when i replace it, so they have lots to hang from.... just make sure it doesnt get too crowded or too low so they can hang and molt.
Thanks for the advice.

Also you know the black beauties do you know if they can eat blackberry leaves or not. Also how long do leaf insects live roughly fir.

Last edited:
Yes they like bramble.... I'd have 2 or 3 to rotate through to ensure the plants can recover. You also need to be very careful to ensure there are no stow-aways or eggs when you remove the plants.
Okay thanks I've decided to wait as they sold of of the leaf insects in a matter of days but I have told them to contact me when they have more in.

Back
Top Bottom