laying eggs

littlevillage

Ok, someone refresh my memory. I no longer have a female so it's not something that I've had to worry about.....What is the best substrate & how deep for a female veiled to lay eggs in & how big does the container have to be? We have a female at work that is acting like she wants to lay infertil eggs. They gave her a bin but I don't think it's big enough. She keeps digging but then stops & goes back to her branch & then starts all over again. I also remember something about color when they're gravid but don't remember exactly. She has been a light green with blue spots. So, if you could refresh my memory on this too it would be great.
By the way, Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on. I hope all is well with you & your chams.

Welcome back!

A veiled may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's satisfied with it.

Perhaps she sees people watching her while she's digging? It would be a good idea to cover the sides of the cage to give her privacy.
If she sees someone watching her while she is digging she will abandon the hole....if it happens often enough she will likely become eggbound.

As for the (opaque) container size...the minimum size it should be is this...when its empty she should be able to fit into it with a couple of inches to spare on all sides including above and below her.

BTW...I recommend that the container be left in the cage all the time.

I use a mixture of playsand and coconut fiber (Bed-A-Beast). It holds a tunnel, is easier for the female to dig in, and weighs a heck of a lot less than straight sand.

Vince from Screameleons (a site sponsor here) recommended I not use play sand. He suggested I use non-fertilizer soil called "Pro-mix", you can buy this at the Home depot and it's very affordable. All my girls have laid eggs successfully in this substrate and I like it a lot. Good luck and take care!

Sunday afternoon I out her in a back room at work in a 10 gal. tank with sand, a branch, a fake vine, and a basking lamp. I put the sand on a slope & I read somewhere on here to start a hole for her, so I did. Now it's Tuesday night & she hasn't dug at all in the tank. What should I do from here?

i use soil and it worked fine
at first she dug around the buttom of my cage alot which was only about 6" deep, but she eventually laid them.
58 to be exact

Back
Top Bottom