Lay bins are we doing it wrong?

BostonKeith

Avid Member
So just listened to a podcast on acadamy. New stuff i heard! 4 inches in the recommended depth now?! Any thoughts? Might need to change some stuff!

So just listened to a podcast on acadamy. New stuff i heard! 4 inches in the recommended depth now?! Any thoughts? Might need to change some stuff!
Considering the recommendation was 6 inches it doesn't surprise me. Who was he talking about it with? Info changes in the hobby. Some stuff is more species specific. But in the wild they do not dig really far down either.

I think going by the size of the chameleon should be a consideration rather than the one size fits all. 6” is a good recommendation for general advise so that no one makes a 10“ deep lay bin (like I did before I learned better - poor Grumpy). My veiled ladies are a good size, so their bins are around 5-6” deep. My panther lady is very petite so hers is only about 4” deep. I also keep in mind that should something go wrong and their tunnel collapses, they’ll have a better chance to dig themselves out.

Considering the recommendation was 6 inches it doesn't surprise me. Who was he talking about it with? Info changes in the hobby. Some stuff is more species specific. But in the wild they do not dig really far down either.
With my experience the panther girls don’t dig down as far as the veiled girls. My veiled girls dig to the bottom and I provide them at least a 12 inch bucket with 10 inches of sand.

With my experience the panther girls don’t dig down as far as the veiled girls. My veiled girls dig to the bottom and I provide them at least a 12 inch bucket with 10 inches of sand.
Yeah... There are other breeders using less depth. I have listened to a few of the podcasts. I do not remember which ones. But their reasoning is that it can take a lot of energy for them to dig so providing a shallower bin is better for the chameleon to be able to get through the laying process. Also that in the wild they lay in dirt at the base of the tree so they do not dig down as far bumping up against roots etc. Since it is also dangerous for them to be on the ground too long due to predators.

Aww such hard workers and good mamas 🥰 The babies so strong 💪 from day 1. From digging themselves out and immediately fending for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom