Lathargic Chameleon

Hogge

Veiled Chameleon- Had her for 3 years with no issues. Past week or so she has been very lethargic, normally she is very aggressive when entering the cage. Appetite is diminished but is still eating and drinking. No changes in heating or humidity. Started to spray her cage a little more since symptoms have started. Not sure if its related but she lays infertile eggs every 6-7 months but I have not seen any for quite some time. I've read through some forum posts and have some ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear your chameleon is having problems.
Can you post a few recent photos of her and tell me how many eggs she has laid in each clutch so far.

20220322_191620.jpg
20220322_191620.jpg
20220322_191555.jpg

Yes, lights were on. Its an ExoTerra light for reptiles. Humidity is good. She is still very lethargic. Tended to her today and she had a little fight in her.

Yes, lights were on. Its an ExoTerra light for reptiles. Humidity is good. She is still very lethargic. Tended to her today and she had a little fight in her.
I’m going to say to err on the side of caution and get her in to see a good vet asap. Having eyes closed when lights are on is a bad sign and being lethargic as well - she needs a vet. They go downhill very quickly and don’t show signs of anything being wrong until almost too late, so time is of the essence.

Thanks for the info. That's what I came up with during my searches. Unfortunately all the exotic vets around me are totally booked unless I pay for emergency treatment. I'm going to try home treatment. I did notice the inside of her mouth was very pale last I checked on her, because she gave me a hiss. I do not think she is impacted with eggs, she gets really big and suns on her side when she has eggs.

Thanks for the info. That's what I came up with during my searches. Unfortunately all the exotic vets around me are totally booked unless I pay for emergency treatment. I'm going to try home treatment. I did notice the inside of her mouth was very pale last I checked on her, because she gave me a hiss. I do not think she is impacted with eggs, she gets really big and suns on her side when she has eggs.
While it most likely can’t fix what may be wrong with her, we can go over all of your husbandry and see if there’s an obvious cause that can be corrected. If you’d like to do that, just copy/paste the following with your answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have had her for 3 years, suspect she was about 1 yr. when I got her. She get handled about every 1-2 days. Very aggressive until she is out of the cage then very placid. She is in a screen enclosure with a basic lamp that has correct bulb for her. Normally she sits on the wicker ring (see pics) and suns. I also put fruit on a tooth pick she seems to like that- she has never poked herself- I have barometer in cage but since its an open cage I don't pay much attention. She gets misted about twice a day. Drip plant is used for water, do my best to keep reservoir clean. Cage is on a pedestal away from vents. Located in Michigan.

I have had her for 3 years, suspect she was about 1 yr. when I got her. She get handled about every 1-2 days. Very aggressive until she is out of the cage then very placid. She is in a screen enclosure with a basic lamp that has correct bulb for her. Normally she sits on the wicker ring (see pics) and suns. I also put fruit on a tooth pick she seems to like that- she has never poked herself- I have barometer in cage but since its an open cage I don't pay much attention. She gets misted about twice a day. Drip plant is used for water, do my best to keep reservoir clean. Cage is on a pedestal away from vents. Located in Michigan.
What type of uvb are you using? Is it a screw in bulb or linear tube?
What supplements do you use and how often for each?

Its a bulb, cannot remember wattage. I dust her crickets with calcium powder. She also eats small portions fruits and veggies often.

Ok, so this may be your girl’s problem…she’s not getting any source of vitamin D3 so is unable to process and use the calcium. The screw in uvb bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate levels of uvb at any distance past 2-3” directly below. The standard is a linear T5HO fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Then basking area needs to be about 8-9” below.
For supplements, you should be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding (except when using a different supplement). Calcium with D3 and a multivitamin each need to be used for one feeding every other week. You can either use separate products and alternate their use every other week, or use a combined product such as Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus for one feeding every other week.
Having just laid eggs, your girl has no calcium left for her to use for herself…it all went into forming her eggs. Calcium is not just important for bone health, but for muscle function, nerve conduction and more. Just like us, vitamin D3 is needed to convert the calcium into a usable form. Without D3, the calcium just passes thru, unable to be used.
If your girl is to have any chance, you need to take quick action and get her the correct uvb light, correct supplements and make the soonest vet appointment you can get.
This is the correct type of light. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...080331&sprefix=ReptiSun+5.0+,aps,3455&sr=8-12
These are the two combined multivitamin/D3 that I mentioned. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...upplies&sprefix=Reptivite+with,aps,135&sr=1-1. https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calc...fix=repashy+calcium+plus,pets,114&sr=1-1&th=1

Back
Top Bottom