Larry's new home, please critique! (picture heavy)

I angled the light above the rack in the closet and the top where he can reach is reading at about 86 F. The house at the moment is about 78 degrees or so (this Tallahassee heat is ridiculous) and I run the air condtioning minimally throughout the day but it doesn't get hotter than 78. Since I moved the light this morning, he has been a yucky dark color for most of the time and is hanging around where the heat lamp used to be. I figure he knows how to regulate his body temperature better than I do so I left the lamp there, I can't help but wonder why he wont go back to his nice green however.

Also, I have smooth glass stones, large enough that he can't swallow, that I planned on placing around his plant so he wouldn't eat the dirt. I also have the floral tape for the wire and wire to wrap around his bendy sticks. I am trying to find the best time to do this because he doesn't like me in his home and I don't want to stress him out, especially since this is only his second day in his house. Any feedback is much appreciated.

I will upload a picture when I can, I'm on a community computer and I don't think it would be best to log into my photo album here. The rack that the heat lamp is resting on can be seen in the pictures in the original post.

Good idea putting the stones in the plant pot. He's going to be stressed regardless of when or how you do it, so put him in an extra cage (if you have) or on a large safe plant (that's what I do), and get 'er done. He will be very stressed when you put him back, so just leave him be for awhile, until he gets used to his new digs. Unfortunately that's the kind of stuff we have to do for them, and it does stress them. He's going to have to get used to you cleaning in there, and adjusting stuff. If he has a special kind of feeder that he likes, maybe offer it to him while he's outside of his cage. BTW, I usually put mine in a big potted plant in the bathtub and close the bathroom door. I find that a safe situation, although others might have different/better ideas.

Just my own little tip, i put some tin foil over the top of the uvb light so it dosnt shine outwards at your face. Angle it a little so it shines (spreads) everywhere in the cage. :)

Good idea putting the stones in the plant pot. He's going to be stressed regardless of when or how you do it, so put him in an extra cage (if you have) or on a large safe plant (that's what I do), and get 'er done. He will be very stressed when you put him back, so just leave him be for awhile, until he gets used to his new digs. Unfortunately that's the kind of stuff we have to do for them, and it does stress them. He's going to have to get used to you cleaning in there, and adjusting stuff. If he has a special kind of feeder that he likes, maybe offer it to him while he's outside of his cage. BTW, I usually put mine in a big potted plant in the bathtub and close the bathroom door. I find that a safe situation, although others might have different/better ideas.

I got him out and he was livid at me. I posted some pictures in this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/larry-showin-me-whos-boss-well-flexin-some-new-color-44371/

He doesn't mind hangin on my hand and when he does he is a nice green. However, getting him there is the problem. I didn't catch the prime time flare up but you can see in the pictures that he was absolutely pissed. He was hissing at me and made a move for my hand. Can't say I blame him. He is back in the cage and seems to be doing well. I put a couple crickets on the side of the cage and he snatched them up in a second so he is probably fine.

Just my own little tip, i put some tin foil over the top of the uvb light so it dosnt shine outwards at your face. Angle it a little so it shines (spreads) everywhere in the cage. :)

I was thinking about doing that actually. I'm still trying to figure out what the best course of action is for the basking lamp. He really doesn't seem to like it where it is :confused:

I got him out and he was livid at me. I posted some pictures in this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/larry-showin-me-whos-boss-well-flexin-some-new-color-44371/

He doesn't mind hangin on my hand and when he does he is a nice green. However, getting him there is the problem. I didn't catch the prime time flare up but you can see in the pictures that he was absolutely pissed. He was hissing at me and made a move for my hand. Can't say I blame him. He is back in the cage and seems to be doing well. I put a couple crickets on the side of the cage and he snatched them up in a second so he is probably fine.

I was thinking about doing that actually. I'm still trying to figure out what the best course of action is for the basking lamp. He really doesn't seem to like it where it is :confused:

if anything you weant it higher, so he can sit under it you know. im assuming the little shelf or whatever that is is in the way lol. if anything try hooking it onto that but shining it down ontop of the terrarium.

Here is the new setup:
lamp.jpg

It gets to 86 where it is circled. Larry seems to like it hot though. When I had it on the side he was always green and hangin by it. Now that it is up top, he still hangs out on the branches where he used to but he is a dark color a good bit of the time. I would think he would spend a good bit of time up near the very top but he hasn't necessarily. The house ambient temperature ranges from about 76-78 and the closet may be a tad warmer since the air doesn't circulate as much.

I either need to get a stronger wattage bulb or I need to move the lamp. I checked the temperature after it had been on for two hours and it was reading 77 at the very very top. Larry has just remained a yucky color the entire time.

I was gonna say 'it looks a bit too far away....'

if your using a 50w lamp you could place the fixture on the cage but tilt it a bit.

KevinZamp07_05_20103973RSRC.jpg

The biggest problem is the clearance. The shelf is very helpful but the white ceramic part doesnt clear. I was able to angle it so it is under the shelf but not directly over the cage and as soon as I did Larry ran over to the branch and turned on his side. He followed this up with laying on the screen cage to get his under side warm. I don't know if he is a strange cam but he really seems to like being a little warmer than the usual temps I read. After he had his fill he moved down to a lower branch and was just chillin.

When he moves to a different side of the enclosure I'm going to move his temp probe and see how hot it gets. If its too hot I will get a lower bulb but I think the placing is as good as its going to get for now. I will post a pic a little later of the new new new setup.

Last edited:
I've had similar issues with clearance... What i've done is taken dikes (aka wire cutters, not the strippers, just the cutting tool) and made cuts in the light took every 1/2". This makes a bunch of little tabs and you can bend them back to 'shorten' the fixture. This will let it fit better. I would think you'd be able to tilt it slightly as is? I guess not...

It is tilted as much as it can be, the white ceramic part catches on the top of the shelf. I think it is good where it is now. The digital temp probe reads 88 at the closest point he can get to and there are a few places he can climb on and rest on that will allow him to get heat without being right under the hot spot. Once I get to a non-community computer I will post the picture. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Back
Top Bottom