Large Indoor Enclosure lighting Suggestions

BryanP

Avid Member
I am going to be making a large (4ft H x 4ft L x 2ft D) indoor enclosure for a panther chameleon but I am having a tough time trying to decide on lighting.

I was initially thinking a 4ft 2 bulb T5HO fixture so I could have UVB and Grow lights...

After some searching I see a lot of people like this LED grow light and I will probably get 1 (Maybe 2) for the 4ft wide enclosure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3HAQJT15PL4NZ&psc=1

So maybe I only need a single T5HO fixture... Thats why I am here.

Also, where is everyone buying the UVB bulbs now... I am seeing low or no stock anywhere I look.

Thanks

Hi. From what I have seen people doing 3 or 4 light fixtures. I have 1 uvb currently and 1 arcadia led plant bar but will be putting in a second led plant bar . Uvb for me in the middle and arcadia led plant bars either side . I believe when buying a plant light how deep the light penetrates into the enclosure should be considered. Some use 6500 k plant lights ✨

This is from another thread on here. I can tag you in it if you want .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-144111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-144111_Chrome.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20201023-144100_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-144100_Chrome.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 131
I am going to be making a large (4ft H x 4ft L x 2ft D) indoor enclosure for a panther chameleon but I am having a tough time trying to decide on lighting.
I have that size enclosure...

After some searching I see a lot of people like this LED grow light and I will probably get 1 (Maybe 2) for the 4ft wide enclosure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3HAQJT15PL4NZ&psc=1
... and 2 of those. Plants love 'em. Chameleon loves 'em. Enough oomph to reach down into the nether regions of the enclosure.

You'll need a 48" UVB for that enclosure. Most folks use 24".
I think the 48" bulbs should be easier to find, BICBW.

I have that size enclosure...
Do you have pictures of your setup posted anywhere?

I would love to see how you set it up. Because my area (inland Southern California) is hot and dry most of the year, I am going to make a Zen Habitats style enclosure. With the top ventilated only.

Would like to see how you have an enclosure that size decorated.

I would love to see how you set it up. Because my area (inland Southern California) is hot and dry most of the year, I am going to make a Zen Habitats style enclosure. With the top ventilated only.

Hi as you know you will need ventilation somewhere on the front bottom to create the chimney effect to let fresh air in and stale hot air out the top

I think a Zen style hybrid is an outstanding idea. I agree you will need a ventilation inlet to create a chimney effect, but it doesn't need to be much.

Here's my enclosure: Three mister nozzles across top-front. Ceiling egg crate trellis up the back wall for climbing vines (Philodendron, Wandering Jew, Pothos). Other plants include a hanging pitcher plant & Snake plant.

1617932181389.jpeg

The doors and lower panels are screened, but I'm in the process of replacing doors w/ acrylic to help retain humidity.

There are 3 centerpiece plants—L to R: Ficus Benjamina, Schefflera Arboricola, Dracaena Fragrans (Mass Cane). The Schefflera (Umbrella tree) is bushy, but quite a bit shorter than the other two, so I put it on top of an inverted empty pot of the same size (below). Everything has grown considerably since the pic was taken—planning on doing some pruning this weekend.

1617931955566.jpeg

The floor is ceiling egg crate (on the drainage pan) with screen directly on top of that to prevent large debris from falling into the drain pan and clogging the system. Pan drains out the front:

1617933107200.jpeg

Current Lighting Layout:

1617934532914.png

Basking & UVB converge on a basking site beneath & between the two, but I'm going to be rearranging with both Sansi lights closer to the basking lamp (75W incandescent).

Back
Top Bottom