Large Atrium enclosure

joshuadh2310

Established Member
So i am wondering if the dragon strand large atrium enclosure is worth the $300 price tag and the $135 drainage tray. anyone who has it what do you have to say about it? and would it be better to just build your own versus spending the near $500 on just the cage and tray(assuming i got the tray which i have seen everyone recommend getting with it).
http://dragonstrand.com/product/large-atrium-enclosure/
There is the link for it. just want to hear your guys feedback on this in terms of price for the size of the cage. Also this would be for my female panther as she got a little older she is a bit over 5 months right now. i know it seems like much for a female panther but i planned on upgrading her out of her 18x18x36 eventually. so just looking around for best option for her that i can include a laying bin in her cage as well to cut back on stress.

Here's a few things to consider, then you decide.

1 - Can you build your own cage and ensure it is safe? Meaning the corners and edges are not sharp. Are you using rust proof materials. You good at measuring and cutting? How much is your time worth? Got plenty to spend on a cage, cool. Not so much? Might want to buy a cage.

2 - I have three DragonStrand cages. They are well made, made of better than average materials, and worth what I paid in my opinion. They are not something that will fall apart in a year or two for example.

3 - The dragon ledges are genius. Buying one of these will also get you all the help and experience of Bill Strand and with these ledges he'll show you how not just make a chameleon cage but how to create a frigging arboreal wonderland using the ledges and a can of expanding foam......

Go look at some of the pictures of his completed cages.

1 - Can you build your own cage and ensure it is safe? Meaning the corners and edges are not sharp. Are you using rust proof materials. You good at measuring and cutting? How much is your time worth? Got plenty to spend on a cage, cool. Not so much? Might want to buy a cage.

2 - I have three DragonStrand cages. They are well made, made of better than average materials, and worth what I paid in my opinion. They are not something that will fall apart in a year or two for example.

3 - The dragon ledges are genius. Buying one of these will also get you all the help and experience of Bill Strand and with these ledges he'll show you how not just make a chameleon cage but how to create a frigging arboreal wonderland using the ledges and a can of expanding foam......

I plan on using the ledges and the foam for the next cage she gets I just haven't decided if I wanted to get her the large atrium cage or just upgrade her to a 24x24x48 dragon strand . Or ya know build my own lol. I definitely have the crafting skills and such for it. Just don't know if it would be worth it lol. Idk I'm complicated and picky when it comes to her lol

IMHO , I would get ledges for your current cage and use the foam on that so u have a solid idea on how to us the foam and a better idea of how u want your next build to go on an expensive cage like ds!!! I had 3 cage builds before I purchased a dragonstrand cage...and I agree with @OldChamKeeper DS cages are by far the best, I have a XL breeder with the easy drip and drip tray, could not be happier. Best advice I can give is don't rush a build I wish someone would have told me that when I got into this hobby.

I agree. DS cages are great, and the ledges just make your life easier. If its a female though, I would probably just go with an XL Keeper cage. I have an atrium and the thing is huge. Imagine two 24x24x48s next to each other and that's the basic size of an atrium. I found it kind of hard to actually fill it with enough stuff!

Yeah I think I will be going with the 24x24x48 for her. She's happy in her cage now but I plan on getting stuck bugs eventually so I want to upgrade her and just use the old cage for the sticks. So I probably won't practice on her old cage lol but if you are aware of my building skills in some of my other posts you'll understand. Another reason I want to just get a larger cage is because I want to really get a nice build I want with a good size laying bin in there for her as well as a drainage system going with it. I would probably use there drainage pan just improve it. But I wish dragon strand made their laying bins for all the cage sizes.

. But I wish dragon strand made their laying bins for all the cage sizes.

They would be a hard sell at that point. After all even an old keeper like me knows I could buy a plastic bin for $8 at that size. Also the smaller size is something a lot of keepers like for their gravid females, gives them less places to hide the treasure. Many keepers put their females in a smaller habitat when they get close to laying.

They would be a hard sell at that point. After all even an old keeper like me knows I could buy a plastic bin for $8 at that size. Also the smaller size is something a lot of keepers like for their gravid females, gives them less places to hide the treasure. Many keepers put their females in a smaller habitat when they get close to laying.
See my problem is I can't find a bin the size I like lol. It's like next to impossible for me that's why I'm going up to the larger one so I can use a bucket or something . Idk though me and her will be experimenting together as she has not had her first lay yet so we shall see what she likes

I'm curious why DS doesn't make their large atrium enclosure in black. They only make it in silver.

man... the large screen cage with the drip tray and ledges with shipping to florida is $305 thats the same price as the atrium cage.

I went ahead and got the large 2x2x4 with the substrate tray to make into a custom drainage pan and I also got a 24" light your reptiles quad fixture for it so she is getting an upgrade

I have the large atrium and it's more a dark grey almost black than a silver.
Oh really? So it looks darker than their pic?

Large-Atrium-Cage-Featured-Image.jpg

Still odd that that don't offer this specific enclosure in black like their others. All my enclosures are black, so I'd like things to match.

How is the quality of the DS compared to Zoomed Reptibreezes? Is it more sturdy? Less gaps in the doors?

Oh really? So it looks darker than their pic?

Large-Atrium-Cage-Featured-Image.jpg

Still odd that that don't offer this specific enclosure in black like their others. All my enclosures are black, so I'd like things to match.

How is the quality of the DS compared to Zoomed Reptibreezes? Is it more sturdy? Less gaps in the doors?

So, this is as I was setting it up. To me its a darker than their picture. It really looks good. Very sturdy. I had a zoomed and it was good but I feel the DS is better quality. Plus, they have good panels(the white strips) that go behind the doors so that the gaps are covered.
IMG_9422.JPG

Quick question for those that have the drainage trays? How to you drain them as they have no holes on bottom or any way to get the water out? Am i missing something?

Quick question for those that have the drainage trays? How to you drain them as they have no holes on bottom or any way to get the water out? Am i missing something?
you can drill a hole in it and attach a bulkhead with pvc pipe going into a bucket or something.

you can drill a hole in it and attach a bulkhead with pvc pipe going into a bucket or something.

Ok ok, i had previously drilled holes on 1 even doh they say not to, but ivdid it so the water would drain in a bucket, will do a drain pan for my next enclosure and i will add a bulk head and pvc pipe for better results

Ok ok, i had previously drilled holes on 1 even doh they say not to, but ivdid it so the water would drain in a bucket, will do a drain pan for my next enclosure and i will add a bulk head and pvc pipe for better results
Why did they tell you not to? I have a big free range that I built drainage for with bulkheads going to pvc into buckets and it works wonders I'm in the middle of doing it for a cage right now

Back
Top Bottom