laid her eggs about a week ago.. somethings different

PrincessPetrie

To start off, HI I am new. Not really sure if I am doing this right but here it goes.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I have a female veiled chameleon. I think she is about 6 months old, apparently, she might be older I'm not sure. I got her from a pet store September first (I know I know I'm terrible and they don't take good care of them but she looked adorable).
  • Handling - I never force her out of her cage, I leave the cage open during the evening and she comes out on her own whenever she feels like it.
  • Feeding - I normally put a bowl of mixed greens and mealworms in her cage in the morning and by the time I get home from work, the bowl is mostly empty and sometimes I handfeed her crickets or more worms.
  • Supplements - I dust calcium twice a week (Monday and Thursday) on her crickets in the evening and handfeed them to make sure she is actually getting her calcium.
  • Watering - She loooooves her water. My family and I spray her by hand.
  • Fecal Description - I read the poop forum and she seems to be pooping normally, but now not as often after she laid her eggs.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Big screen cage (No mirrors near by, found that out the hard way)
  • Lighting - 12 hour UV and Heating. Her temp and humidity are always good
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? She is placed in the corner of my room. When i'm just sitting in bed relaxing I open the cage and she comes out and just looks around. I let her crawl on me sometimes and bring her to higher spots she can climb on.
  • Location - Im live in south Louisiana

Current Problem - She recently laid 64 eggs (at first) the are infertile. Before we realized it was her laying time she hasn't shed in about a month. She used to shed every 4 weeks. We gave her a big laying bin in her cage. I put a sheet over so she could have privacy. Once the eggs were laid she stopped going sit on her basking spot. She wasn't excited about her crickets anymore she has only been eating her greens. In the last week, every time I get home around 1 there has been 1 egg at the bottom of her cage. She has now altogether laid 67 eggs. She still has not shedded and not eating as much as often or wanting to come out of her cage. She stays hidden in the back. I am not sure what the problem is, but she is not the same

I'm attaching a picture of her eggs
and several pictures of her before she laid her eggs

Attachments

• IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 103
  • C3F7D9AD-0F9A-43F8-8DAD-65F1C3A8774F.jpeg
    C3F7D9AD-0F9A-43F8-8DAD-65F1C3A8774F.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 112
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? I have a female veiled chameleon. I think she is about 6 months old, apparently, she might be older I'm not sure. I got her from a pet store September first (I know I know I'm terrible and they don't take good care of them but she looked adorable). looks more like a year
  • Handling - I never force her out of her cage, I leave the cage open during the evening and she comes out on her own whenever she feels like it.
  • Feeding - I normally put a bowl of mixed greens and mealworms in her cage in the morning and by the time I get home from work, the bowl is mostly empty and sometimes I handfeed her crickets or more worms. don't feed mealworms, they can cause impaction, try roaches or silkworms.
  • Supplements - I dust calcium twice a week (Monday and Thursday) on her crickets in the evening and handfeed them to make sure she is actually getting her calcium. you need to be feeding her calcium no d3 every day calcium d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month.
  • Watering - She loooooves her water. My family and I spray her by hand. how long do you spray?
  • Fecal Description - I read the poop forum and she seems to be pooping normally, but now not as often after she laid her eggs.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Big screen cage (No mirrors near by, found that out the hard way) what size? not just big.
  • Lighting - 12 hour UV and Heating. Her temp and humidity are always good good is not a number. please give a number on humidity and temperature. what kind of uvb, linear or compact? from what it looks like, you have a red heat bulb which colors in the chameleon world are a big no no. I would get rid of that asap.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? She is placed in the corner of my room. When i'm just sitting in bed relaxing I open the cage and she comes out and just looks around. I let her crawl on me sometimes and bring her to higher spots she can climb on.
  • Location - Im live in south Louisiana
please fill out the ENTIRE form so we can help to the best of our ability in DETAIL.

feed less to decrease the amount of eggs she will have to lay so It doesn't toll on her body as much, she still has eggs in her and she will need to be taken to a vet for an xray to see if there are any still in there. if shes still dropping eggs that laybin should also go back in for a while til you get her to the vet.

Last edited:
I did not put all the itty bitty details because I have been reading this forum since I got her and accumulated all the knowledge off the correct things needed. I do not have a red light heat bulb in her cage. I do not know the correct brand name because I am not home and didn't memorize it. She has a linear UV bulb also if that was needed. We spray her for as long as she wants us too. spray the whole cage down and then spray to where it is "raining" on top of her while she opens her mouth and drinks or drinks off the near by leaves until she moves and decides she doesn't need more. The only problem that I see that I am doing wrong is not enough supplements.

I did not put all the itty bitty details because I have been reading this forum since I got her and accumulated all the knowledge off the correct things needed. I do not have a red light heat bulb in her cage. I do not know the correct brand name because I am not home and didn't memorize it. She has a linear UV bulb also if that was needed. We spray her for as long as she wants us too. spray the whole cage down and then spray to where it is "raining" on top of her while she opens her mouth and drinks or drinks off the near by leaves until she moves and decides she doesn't need more. The only problem that I see that I am doing wrong is not enough supplements.
It could be a few deferent things , your supplementation does need some upgrading . My self and @Thehippie linked this thread to your other thread . Do you have an exotic vet ?? @kinyonga @Brodybreaux25 @@Jannb any input .

okay well ill just let you know that misting should be for 2-5 mins twice a day. I cannot stress that it is important to let the cage completely dry before the next misting. we would like for you to fill out the form to the greatest extent so we can offer our best advice because we take chameleon care very seriously on this forum.

Where I live there are not many exotic vets but I am definitely going to find one !
Ok @jannb can help if she does not chime in I’ll shoot her a text . We do need a location . If you not comfortable posting you can pm her or my self . Some x-rays will be helpful . Is she keeping her eyes closed and or resting her chin on vines through the day ??

Ok @jannb can help if she does not chime in I’ll shoot her a text . We do need a location . If you not comfortable posting you can pm her or my self . Some x-rays will be helpful . Is she keeping her eyes closed and or resting her chin on vines through the day ??

Around Baton Rouge would be where the nearest vet would be but not sure where. And her eyes are open most of the day but she has been hiding in the back of the cage

Around Baton Rouge would be where the nearest vet would be but not sure where. And her eyes are open most of the day but she has been hiding in the back of the cage
It’s not uncommon for a attitude change after laying . However dropping eggs is not normal and is a cause to see a vet . We can help you once you get a diagnosis and treatment at this point it’s first priority .

Back
Top Bottom