ladybugs

unknown91

after i seen my cham eat 2-3 ladybugs (that enter her enclosure uninvited) i read that they are toxic for them and now i'm kinda freaking out.
how much/many are too much/many for them ?
if she ate 2-3 (that i seen) is it dangerous ? should i go to vet ?

They are toxic.

2-3 shouldn't do too much damage, but I would provide plenty of water, and keep an eye out for any issues.

anything that seems off, you should call a vet, or post here.

you probably don't need a vet right this second.

the problem is that i don't know how many she ate, cuz i'm know watching her 24/7.
i guess there is no other solution than just ... change the mesh ? i don't get animals sometime ... it should be in their DNA "DON'T EAT LADYBUGS, THEY ARE TOXIC" ....
what issues are you talking about ? the food should be a sign for any troubles/problems, right ? i mean ... if she stops eating

some chams will catch food and then spit it out when they don't like the taste, but im not sure if ladybugs taste bad to them>

ANyway signs of issues are, vomiting, lethargy, eyes closing for long periods of time, hanging int he bottom of the cage, etc.

i think she ate the first one a week ago (she might be eating them every day, don't know how to stop it), but for now, no bad signs.
she's moving around the cage A LOT, no lethargy, no vomiting, she's eating well ....

it's homemade :)
it's a shelf transformed in a wooden cage + glass framed door + mesh on top and on the bottom of the cage.
the bugs are attracted by the UVB and UVA light on the top of the cage, they rest on the mesh and she catches them from inside (somehow, don't really know how) with her giant tongue..

Find something that eats ladybugs and keep them around. Try feeding mantids to your cham and let a couple free range. Don't know if they eat ladies or not, but could help.

they (ladybugs) only stay on top, near the lights, i don't think that i could find something that will stay only on top and hunt for them. beside that, i don't think i can put anything in her cage and not get eaten in the next 5 seconds.
i will just be more careful with the door/ window and pay more attention to the cage and hope i will catch them before they become her dinner.

You know the aluminum screen that is used for like window screens and what not?

You should be able to buy aluminum screen from any local hardware store.

You want aluminum, because bugs can chew through mesh, fiberglass, etc.

if you use the aluminum screen, its small enough that there is no way a ladybug can fit through it.

i know that, it's actually used for bugs, it's a net that you put on the window frame to prevent the little guys from coming in the house from outside, but i can't find it in the stores (strange ...)
i had no problems with chewing the mesh, i don't let the 'food' free range, i put the worms and bugs in a cup ...
i'll try to search some more for the aluminum mesh, it's true it has smaller holes, so yea, that's the only solution
thank you for your answers

Back
Top Bottom