Kyle is becoming a very demanding cham...

Graves923

Chameleon Enthusiast
My fiancee just sent me a photo of our chameleon shooting his tongue at her anytime she walked by his cage. We keep his feeding schedule as regular as possible and today is his normal feeding day and we normally feed between 9-10am so I can only imagine that he has become conditioned to this schedule and is getting excited. He apparently wasted no time picking off his crickets when my fiancee opened the cage.

Anyone else have a cham that anticipates a feeding by shooting their tongue at you?

20190529_090353_2.jpg

My fiancee just sent me a photo of our chameleon shooting his tongue at her anytime she walked by his cage. We keep his feeding schedule as regular as possible and today is his normal feeding day and we normally feed between 9-10am so I can only imagine that he has become conditioned to this schedule and is getting excited. He apparently wasted no time picking off his crickets when my fiancee opened the cage.

Anyone else have a cham that anticipates a feeding by shooting their tongue at you?

View attachment 233800
Nope. He runs to the front and waits but no tongue shooting in anticipation! Gotta be doing something right over there. Great job.

He does stick his tongue out, and has shot them out of the feeder cup before I get it set(photo of his waiting for food spot). Never at us through the cage though that's pretty funny . really knows his schedule....morning shower then breakfast.

Attachments

• 2228.jpeg
    2228.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 63
Lily frequently sticks her tongue out at me, usually right after I open her cage. You know, just in case I have treats (and I often do, haha!). :p She has also shot at my fingernails a few times while I was fussing with her plants... I couldn't tell you why, cause my nails arent painted or anything, but it seems to happen once or twice a week!

Kyle has shot and almost stole my fiancees glasses off her face once. I was in the other room and heard her yell at the chameleon. "No, those are my glasses. You cant eat them."

Never thought Id ever hear that argument between her and the cham.

Kyle generally just tried to kill me when I'm near the cage so my fiancee normally does the feedings. Its like the case of Pavlovs dog and the bell... Only this chameleon sees my lady and gets his tongue ready.

He does stick his tongue out, and has shot them out of the feeder cup before I get it set(photo of his waiting for food spot). Never at us through the cage though that's pretty funny . really knows his schedule....morning shower then breakfast.
I would love to know how the orchids work out for you in the enclosure with the lighting, misting, and fogging. I am wanting to add some to mine but I am not sure of where to position them in the enclosure.

I would love to know how the orchids work out for you in the enclosure with the lighting, misting, and fogging. I am wanting to add some to mine but I am not sure of where to position them in the enclosure.

Honestly it is sort of an experiment to see how well it does. It's only been in there about a month. I am going to be doing a bioactive modification in his enclosure this summer, so trying some different types of plants. I have read some great posts from @salty dog on various types of orchids in enclosures. He would probably be a good resource.

Ah, orchids+chams. Dendrobium nobile family grows indestructible once established, although they grow large, in a net pot with lots of air to roots and prefer bright light...under 6500k grow light is fine...dendrobium parishii family grows pendulous in nature hanging from trees, I have a seedling growing in a basket. the roots have to dry between waterings, the canes can grow long, this one is also indestructible once established. Cattleyas are also ok, a specimen size plant can hold the weight of a cham, a small one can not, the roots also have to dry between waterings

Kyle has shot and almost stole my fiancees glasses off her face once. I was in the other room and heard her yell at the chameleon. "No, those are my glasses. You cant eat them."

Never thought Id ever hear that argument between her and the cham.

Kyle generally just tried to kill me when I'm near the cage so my fiancee normally does the feedings. Its like the case of Pavlovs dog and the bell... Only this chameleon sees my lady and gets his tongue ready.

Sounds like you guys need to have a "talk"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom