Kung Fu Mantis.

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
Anyone here feed mantises? Looking to possibly start raising those, but not sure if its a good idea, depending on the difficulty and gutload value.

MantisConcept.JPG.jpg

I have stick/leaf bugs. I avoided mantids for 3 reasons :
- if you raise them in numbers you need to seperate them so they dont kill each other
- they need a bug diet as well, and I dont want to deal with fruit flies
- im worried about them hurting my cham with their arms

@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla do you guys have any issues with them putting up a fight at feeding time? I’ve seen some wild ones around the house but Im no leg breaker!

I’m not 100% on exactly what species we have here, several. The biggest is what I believe to be female Chinese mantis, about 3-4” tall.

My chams don’t hunt them like they do grass hoppers or Dubia, they will wait or maneuver to get a clear shot at their head while keeping their distance. Then hit them hard and fast, they never have enough time to fight back.
565C3955-30B5-4C4C-98FE-9DA1566161D9.jpeg

I read from somewhere that insects and other bugs get a temporary stun when the chameleon's tongue snag them. Which means if the chameleon can kill it before the prey recover from stun, it can't attack the chameleon at all. I might be wrong though.

I read from somewhere that insects and other bugs get a temporary stun when the chameleon's tongue snag them. Which means if the chameleon can kill it before the prey recover from stun, it can't attack the chameleon at all. I might be wrong though.
I’m more than sure they are stunned! Chams understand that some prey is more dangerous than others and adjust their hunting technique accordingly. I’ve noticed over the years that my chams almost lazily shoot at hoppers, tongue is noticeably slower. But if I put something potentially dangerous in front of them they hang back and slowly stalk them. When it’s right they hit them in the face HARD. You can hear the SMACK! Then the chams pull them in past the mantis’ shoulders and chomp down breaking the mantis’s arms.

I have stick/leaf bugs. I avoided mantids for 3 reasons :
- if you raise them in numbers you need to seperate them so they dont kill each other
- they need a bug diet as well, and I dont want to deal with fruit flies
- im worried about them hurting my cham with their arms

@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla do you guys have any issues with them putting up a fight at feeding time? I’ve seen some wild ones around the house but Im no leg breaker!
I have never had a mantis bite a chameleon.

Chinese mantids are very easy to raise if you have the space to separate them

Edit: by easy, I mean their care isn't difficult, not really worth the time and space though. I just do stick bugs myself

Back
Top Bottom