Knat issue

Bschucher

Established Member
So I'm about to give up on live plants as I can't seem to control the "knat" problem. I've done some reading and tried some stuff such as layering play sand and rocks but nothing seems to be helping. Any advice needed as I really prefer to have live plants for my guy. Thanks in advance.

So I'm about to give up on live plants as I can't seem to control the "knat" problem. I've done some reading and tried some stuff such as layering play sand and rocks but nothing seems to be helping. Any advice needed as I really prefer to have live plants for my guy. Thanks in advance.
You can use mosquito bits and mix them into the soil. I have seen some people using something like this to help as well. If when summer comes and I see the mosquito bits isn't doing the job then I'm investing in one lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6RZP4...abc_5F0V8AKP52JFBF6AT4WC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like this topic is popping up quite a bit in the last while. Nematodes are an option (don't know if you have bio set up or how they work with cuc ) I was going to try these in my pots in the enclosure and then place some carnivorous plants outside in the house . Sundew plants was a reccomendation in another thread

Use can wash the soil with a hydrogen peroxide and water mix. You will have to remove the plants from the cage.

use one part hydrogen peroxide
1B6B3755-E56D-4E09-9ABF-37E714A60906.png

To three to four parts water 💦
Pour over the top of the potting soil and let drain. You should see and hear bubbles at the surface of the soil.
The hydrogen peroxide kills the larva, egg and fungus in the soil that the fungus gnats are attracted to.

let the plant drain completely and the top of the soil dry before placing back in the cage.

this has worked for me for years in all my hours plants and chameleon plants.

fungus gnats can live in soil for years as eggs and will hatch when the soil is inside.

Use can wash the soil with a hydrogen peroxide and water mix. You will have to remove the plants from the cage.

use one part hydrogen peroxide
View attachment 296746
To three to four parts water 💦
Pour over the top of the potting soil and let drain. You should see and hear bubbles at the surface of the soil.
The hydrogen peroxide kills the larva, egg and fungus in the soil that the fungus gnats are attracted to.

let the plant drain completely and the top of the soil dry before placing back in the cage.

this has worked for me for years in all my hours plants and chameleon plants.

fungus gnats can live in soil for years as eggs and will hatch when the soil is inside.
I’ve done this twice in the past month and they keep coming back I don’t want to stress my girl out so I’m looking for a sundew as I’ve heard a lot of people saying to get one for knats. I changed the soil and cleaned everything as well and made sure the soil did not stay super moist. I heard some threads talking about air circulation and pc fans can someone explain this a little more, and if I should get a pc fan. I’ve placed a vinegar mixture all over my room and one at the bottom of her enclosure with a netting over it just in case and there’s a lot of dead ones. They’re driving me crazy but I need these live plants as I have a veiled. Does anyone know where I can get a sundew without ordering online I always have issues with plants when I do. I also heard some people use a Venus fly trap are those safe too?

What do you insects look like? It’s possible that it’s not a fungus gnats. They are not typically attacked to vinegar traps. They like the fungus in the soil. Do you have plant in your house other then your cage? Have you washed all your plants at the same time?

What do you insects look like? It’s possible that it’s not a fungus gnats. They are not typically attacked to vinegar traps. They like the fungus in the soil. Do you have plant in your house other then your cage? Have you washed all your plants at the same time?
Yes, I washed them all while she slept. I think they are they look like them and live in the soil and come out sometimes. No just hers the rest are outside. I read they are attracted to it here and so researched more and it said yes 🤷🏽‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom