King might be sick.....

Just recovering from something similar here! Definitely find a reliable vet for long term if you are able.

I have a 2yo male veiled and he suddenly started acting... depressed :( wouldn't eat crickets but he would still occasionally eat superworms (his favorite thing ever). Initial poop test was positive for coccidia AND giardia (woohoo -_-) so we did a round of panacur orally and retested the poop after to confirm he was all clear. His appetite was still not improving after a couple weeks, and he eventually started refusing even superworms. This was honestly terrifying to go through and I thought he was dying. This also happened during my finals so I guess it goes to show that you can and should put yourself first. Anyway..

A few weeks later I noticed a strange new lump on his hip, and scheduled another vet visit. Blood test showed high white blood cell count so we started a round of injections (ceftazidime i believe) to treat for some unknown infection or inflammation. Just finished last injection today and slowly over the past weeks his appetite has returned! Knock on wood I think we finally did it. Vet and I decided that he had a combination of problems which is why it took so long to finally get him well again, likely because chameleons tend to "hide" illnesses well until they suddenly start to deteriorate.

You are clearly a loving owner to a)notice something's wrong and b)post to ask about it, so really just keep doing what you're doing :) Hope it goes well, best wishes to you and King! Please update as you find out more!

Just recovering from something similar here! Definitely find a reliable vet for long term if you are able.

I have a 2yo male veiled and he suddenly started acting... depressed :( wouldn't eat crickets but he would still occasionally eat superworms (his favorite thing ever). Initial poop test was positive for coccidia AND giardia (woohoo -_-) so we did a round of panacur orally and retested the poop after to confirm he was all clear. His appetite was still not improving after a couple weeks, and he eventually started refusing even superworms. This was honestly terrifying to go through and I thought he was dying. This also happened during my finals so I guess it goes to show that you can and should put yourself first. Anyway..

A few weeks later I noticed a strange new lump on his hip, and scheduled another vet visit. Blood test showed high white blood cell count so we started a round of injections (ceftazidime i believe) to treat for some unknown infection or inflammation. Just finished last injection today and slowly over the past weeks his appetite has returned! Knock on wood I think we finally did it. Vet and I decided that he had a combination of problems which is why it took so long to finally get him well again, likely because chameleons tend to "hide" illnesses well until they suddenly start to deteriorate.

You are clearly a loving owner to a)notice something's wrong and b)post to ask about it, so really just keep doing what you're doing :) Hope it goes well, best wishes to you and King! Please update as you find out more!

Thanks. Was your chameleon drinking?

Hey I just got home from school and dive team and I noticed that bugs were crawling on him (tiny bugs maybe nats). King is going to the vet at 8AM on Saturday and My panther is coming on Wednesday! Should I move the panther out if King isn't doing so well? The panther is 3 1/2 months old and I really don't want him to get sick. The shipping is so late since I have exams Friday, Monday, and Tuesday.

I'm Making sure that King is drinking daily I am hand drinking him a little (spraying lightly in his mouth when he opens it). Still not eating getting ready to take him to the vet. I'm going to take my dads camera and get some pictures right now.

here are pics

Attachments

• IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2923.JPG
    IMG_2923.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 138
Ok. I'm back from the vet and the vet said that King hasn't been having enough vitamin A. The vet gave me 2 things 1 is like a powder thing you put in water and you give it to him 2 times a day. The vet also gave me some of this liquid you give once a day. I honestly hate how this vet was handling King. He knew what he was talking about, but I didn't go to the one in Fairfax I went to one in Wheaton. This vet pulled King's mouth open. I got so mad at him and king was squirming around. I almost yelled at him, but my dad stopped me. At least the vet knows what he is talking about since he has seen Chameleons before and knew stuff about them. I am never going there again after King is well. DONT GO TO WHEATON ANIMAL HOSPITAL

"Pulling open" King's mouth is equivalent to a doctor telling us to open up and say, "Ah." Only King cannot understand or cooperate by opening his own mouth upon request. The vet was most likely trying to do a thorough examination by checking for mouth rot (a common cause for not eating) and tongue problems, etc. If you feel he was knowledgeable about and experienced with chameleons, perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to write him off. It's hard to find a good reptile/chameleon vet. Anyway, I hope King gets well soon. Did the vet say how soon to expect improvements? Please keep us posted.

"Pulling open" King's mouth is equivalent to a doctor telling us to open up and say, "Ah." Only King cannot understand or cooperate by opening his own mouth upon request. The vet was most likely trying to do a thorough examination by checking for mouth rot (a common cause for not eating) and tongue problems, etc. If you feel he was knowledgeable about and experienced with chameleons, perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to write him off. It's hard to find a good reptile/chameleon vet. Anyway, I hope King gets well soon. Did the vet say how soon to expect improvements? Please keep us posted.

He said that I should give the medicine to King for 3 weeks.

Looks like Shedding. Relax. Increase humidity. If strange changes in appearance or behavior persist for longer than 4 or 5 days, then start to think, like the responders suggest, " oh my god, it's chameleon Zikka, Ebola, Swine flu, SARS that you MUST rush to the nearest 26 year old Vet major from FSU at the local "pet hospital" service provider, whether an animal hospital or a pet shop with in-house vet, some melenial who looks up from her Snapchat and says " that'll be $199 " to put some vita-gell water in a cup in front of your chameleon's face and look concerned as they squeeze it kind of "doctorly" like.

I have been giving King his medicine and HE HATES IT. After I would give the medicine to him he would turn like brownish black. I feel so bad

I'm really worried King hasn't eaten for 1 week and 2 days. would he starve to death? I really don't know what to do other than to give him the medicine.

Back
Top Bottom