Kinda freaking out

Nancygal

So today, my Chameleon must of grabbed leaves that didn't support her cause she fell.
Needless to say I am freaking out. She seems normal and is hunting crickets like normal. But dang, talk about stress. Also drinking as well, I'm lucky she isn't a shy drinker.

They have cartilage ribs. They are designed to just let loose and fall if they are attacked. The springy ribs and lungs full of air make for a good air bag. The problem is the landing zone, since its not a forest floor full of leaf litter.

They have cartilage ribs. They are designed to just let loose and fall if they are attacked. The springy ribs and lungs full of air make for a good air bag. The problem is the landing zone, since its not a forest floor full of leaf litter.
She's not hurt from the fall, but damn scared me to death. I did notice a piece of dirt or something on top screen and I think she kept trying to get to it. Now she's just cruising the sides.
I just dont get it, been fine all morning and this. She just got done with a shed, I hope she's not with egg, ugh I need sand still.

She's not hurt from the fall, but damn scared me to death. I did notice a piece of dirt or something on top screen and I think she kept trying to get to it. Now she's just cruising the sides.
I just dont get it, been fine all morning and this. She just got done with a shed, I hope she's not with egg, ugh I need sand still.
I wouldnt worry too much unless you see symptoms; weakness, unbalance etc. My female veiled fell and broke 8 ribs a couple months ago and is fine

Not to mention it's only a fall of ~3 ft. or less vs.... 10-20 ft. in the forest? :unsure:

Yeah she's tooling around fine. And no signs of leg weakness as I've been watching that. Have some crickets in her cup and some worms as well. Ordering her some silk worms today.
Plus getting her nesting situation settled tomorrow. gonna get a box as big as bottom and fill with sand, dampesh and place plant in a corner as well cause I've seen where they may not like box without trees

Not to mention it's only a fall of ~3 ft. or less vs.... 10-20 ft. in the forest? :unsure:

Reminds me of the zoo that had a natural iguana exhibit. Well for "food time" all the iggies would just jump out of the 20ft+ trees, onto the few feet of leaf litter below. Well they had one problem iggy that liked to do headers instead of belly flops, and ended up with stitches several times a year...

Reminds me of the zoo that had a natural iguana exhibit. Well for "food time" all the iggies would just jump out of the 20ft+ trees, onto the few feet of leaf litter below. Well they had one problem iggy that liked to do headers instead of belly flops, and ended up with stitches several times a year...
Just saw a video on YT. Something about "Only in FL" with a street full of iguanas, and the camera guy tossed some food toward them. Just found it; iggies @ 1:25

My beardie likes to do headers off his basking mountain, face-planting into his bowl of roaches below. I don't know why he's still alive (kidding) but he still does it.

EDIT: forgot the link—it's there now. :oops:

Last edited:
So, Kharma seems good today. No falls or anything that I should be watching for.
Made her a nice sandbox for egg laying, so now truly all my bases are covered. just can't tell if she has eggs yet or not, one minute thin, next big ol pot belly , lol.

Took pics this morning of her so here they are. Let's see what ya all think, eggs yes, no, maybe!??!? ????????

Attachments

• 20200801_094813.jpg
    20200801_094813.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200801_094825.jpg
    20200801_094825.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200801_094822.jpg
    20200801_094822.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 41
how deep is the sand and what are the dimensions of the laybin? she might be getting ready to lay

Totally big enough, is almost 15 inches long, and like almost 12 wide and definitely 6 inches and a bit more. And almost filled to the top with sand that is damp and won't collapse as I did test hole and made sure it balled and held the shape. I introduced it to her yesterday, but she kept climbing out. Have a big puffy pothos giving cover from the front, but I dont think it was enough privacy for her. So, luckily I have one of those posterboards that have the side that fold out to make it stand.
So this morning I made sure she had a good drink, I'm lucky as she drinks in front of me so I know she's always hydrated.
Then I let her chill a bit and then got her on my hand, of which she didn't want to get off of, guess she's used to me handling her when need be. I usually use a stick, but is easier with hand to get her in her box. So, put her in and she was immediately looking to go to high ground, but put up her privacy "screen " and let her be. Luckily I have a way to peek at her and she can't see me. She has now gotten off the idea of climbing out and is in sand, couldn't see if digging yet, but the makeshift privacy screen seems to be doing the trick.
Thank you all, and especially the older post I read about nesting and the garbage can and privacy, as that really helped alot and gave me the idea for this.

Back
Top Bottom